Top notch programming colleges

Started by
12 comments, last by drdarkon 21 years, 9 months ago
Yes,

Thanks a bunch. All your comments are very helpful. Keep them coming! Here is another question, what kind of different fields are available to a programmer besides game development.

- thanks
Thanks
Advertisement
Someone mentioned Chapel Hill - note that they are well known for their _graduate_ programs in computer science, namely in graphics and related fields (i.e. collision detection).

I went to Duke and earned several degrees, including computer science - while Duke is not known for computer science, it is still considered a top-tier school in general. I earned my MS in computer science from NC State. I TA''ed the intro computer science courses at State and will be the first to tell you that I thought the courses at NC State were every bit as difficult as Duke''s, if not harder.

I have always been involved in interviewing programming candidates at all three companies I have worked for, and I will tell you right now that the 15 seconds I give someone when I look at their resume is spent more in job experience than in education. A good college might help you land a better first job (since there is nothing else to look at on your resume), but after that I really don''t think it matters much. Some schmoe from Bob''s U. who knows his stuff in the interview will get the job way before some dumbass from a good university who can''t explain to me what a virtual function is, which happens quite a bit.

And to be honest, NC State ended up being free, and Duke was greater than 100k.

My advice (as I think was previously mentioned), get a real degree, either in Computer Science or Software Engineering. Any programmer, with the skills from getting a degree, can be a game programmer providing they have a passion for gaming. However, if you go to a school that just teaches you how to make a game, you''re less likely to come out with valuable skills to get started with an employer. I can''t bash DigiPen or similar schools because I''ve never been to them, this is just my opinion.
If you''re picking a college, do yourself a favor and go to one of THESE schools:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/engineering/phd/computer.htm

This a list of the top Computer Engineering schools in the country, but all of these schools have really excellent Computer Science programs as well. Although I''m not sure why Texas A&M is on this list.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement