HW TnL, formats and devices

Started by
5 comments, last by ludvig 21 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I have a few newb questions regarding initializing DX: 1. If HW TnL is available, can I be sure that it is available for every single render target formats for that adapter? 2. Is MIXED mode VP also considered as HW TnL? 3. If I have misunderstood the whole concept (see 1 & 2) - please clarify it :-) TIA Ludvig
Advertisement
quote:Original post by ludvig
1. If HW TnL is available, can I be sure that it is available for every single render target formats for that adapter?

no, use CheckDeviceType and CheckDeviceFormat.
quote:
2. Is MIXED mode VP also considered as HW TnL?

if i understand it correctly, mixed mode means you are using hw tnl for the fixed-function rendering and are using software vp for the shaders. you''d use mixed vp on a gf2, for example, running the fixed function in hardware and shaders in software.
quote:
3. If I have misunderstood the whole concept (see 1 & 2) - please clarify it :-)

you didn''t say how you understood it, so i can''t correct you, but here are some tips. be sure to write solid enumeration code if you want your program to work on a wide range of hardware. try to not make assumptions about what is and what is not available. also consider giving the user the choice of the refresh rates for fullscreen setups.

---
Come to #directxdev IRC channel on AfterNET
I usually enumerate the refresh rates, but on all the cards ive tested on (umm... all 3 of them ) the refresh rate is returned as 0 - indicating the adapter default.

2p, Steve

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates
Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
quote:Original post by Evil Bill
I usually enumerate the refresh rates, but on all the cards ive tested on (umm... all 3 of them ) the refresh rate is returned as 0 - indicating the adapter default.

and those cards would be?

---
RIVA TNT2, GeForce2 GTS, and an old Diamond Monster Voodoo2

Do most cards enumerate the refresh rate? I was under the impression that it was something only supported by a few cards.
Or is it more dependant on the monitor?

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates
Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
my gf3 enumerates refresh rates, i also know that some s3 card that gets installed in the laptops does as well. i''d expect pretty much all modern cards to enumerate refresh rates. maybe you can get ahold of some other program that does enumeration and see if it shows the refresh rates.

---
my geforce3 dont enumerate refresh rates. it depends on your drivers. many newer cards dont bother since its expected to run at the "optimal" refresh rate. its possible OS specific drivers handle this differently (ie gf3 drivers on XP enumerate refresh rate, on WinME it dont). it may be due to the OS version as well.

i used the dx caps viewer that comes with the sdk, pretty much an authority. a look in the dx docs may shed light on this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement