Registration issues and piracy

Started by
14 comments, last by Nicolas Bischoff 21 years, 8 months ago
quote:Original post by Rambo_Bill
I personally opt for the behind the scenes they don''t even know its happening and if it fails just let the program run.

Aren''t there legal issues surrounding this method? I''m curious to know how you get around any complications? (if there are in fact any to speak of..)

Also, you could debate how ethical it is to connect to/through the internet without the users knowledge.

Philip Lutas
Optical Realities
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
Advertisement
Ron,
I would assume that the game would know what version it was. By far the best way to maximise registrations is to make the process as foolproof as possible. The best way to do that is a "Register Now" button on the loading/splash screen at the start and probably within the games menu system too. When the user click that the game checks the version when connecting to get keys etc.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
quote:Original post by Obscure
I would assume that the game would know what version it was. By far the best way to maximise registrations is to make the process as foolproof as possible. The best way to do that is a "Register Now" button on the loading/splash screen at the start and probably within the games menu system too. When the user click that the game checks the version when connecting to get keys etc.

But what happens when the user starts browsing through your web site and just decides on the fly that they want to buy the game? "We thank you for your interest in buying SuperGame2002. Unfortunately, if you would like to order, please close your browser, start up SuperGame2002, and click on the ''Buy Now'' link."

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
Miko & Molly - Coming July 2002
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
quote:Original post by lutas
Aren''t there legal issues surrounding this method? I''m curious to know how you get around any complications? (if there are in fact any to speak of..)

I was reading in another similar thread that Blizzard had problems when one of their games sent registration info to Blizzard without the user knowing.

Aside from that, unless it is an online game I think its silly to require the game to connect to the website every time it runs. People complain that they hate games the require the CD to be present to run. How do you think they will feel about having to dial up their ISP every time? Sounds like a crack waiting to happen.

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
Miko & Molly - Coming July 2002
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Whew... just finished writing my own reg code generator and checking code...

Just wanted to let anyone that hasn't tried it know that it's not as hard as it seems... Just get started and it will all begin falling into place

Peace,

Jai

--------------------------
Jai Shaw
Dreamstars 3: A space combat game with depth?!
Coming in August
http://icarusindie.com/dreamstars

[edited by - Jai Shaw on July 30, 2002 12:18:09 PM]
--------------------------Dreamstars 3: A space combat game with depth?!http://dreamstars.jaishaw.com
quote:Original post by LordKronos
Original post by lutas

I was reading in another similar thread that Blizzard had problems when one of their games sent registration info to Blizzard without the user knowing.

Actually from what I remember it was just the computer stats that the game sent to Blizzard when you connected to bnet. They''re still doing it now, when you install a patch. Except you have the choice to not send the info. It''s purely anonymous though so I don''t see what the big deal is.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement