What attracts you to Game Programming/Development?

Started by
13 comments, last by aanand_420 21 years, 8 months ago
Ok...there may be similar posts on this forum before...but lets see what you have to say now. What attracts you to game programming/development? (Graphics/technology, new game concepts, satisfaction of creating something coool etc.) (ok, there may be people who are doing graphics programming but are not interested in game development as such, but still i would love to hear from you, why you are not interested in game development?) [edited by - aanand_420 on July 24, 2002 1:47:50 PM]
There is no problem so complicated that it cannot be complicated further.
Advertisement
Yeah I just basicly like to make "cool stuff" etc, and its cool when others see what you have made and stuff and congratulate you etc, and see all the downloads of your stuff rack up...
Also you are getting to create whatever you want in your game world... well sometimes... (when the bugs arent there) and you have a skill that just about everyone else doesnt.

CEO Platoon Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
You mean besides all the money and fame? The adoration of our followers? Immunity from all form of traffic offenses? No to mention clubbing every night and invites to all the best social events?

(Wonders if he should drink less coffee and play less civilisation )

Regards

BaelWrath

If it is not nailed down it''s mine and if I can prise it loose,
it''s not nailed down!
BaelWrathIf it is not nailed down it's mine and if I can prise it loose,it's not nailed down!
Gaming is one of the few legal forms of addiction allowed in the United States
In the beginning it was making complex use of a lot of concepts I learned in college, really putting them to good use.

Seeing classes really strut their stuff (templates, polymorhpism) for the first time contributed a lot, too.

The algorithms needed in a single game are so different from place to place (a typical business app contains import and export routines, data management, report generation, figure tabulation, etc. all different algorithms, but all centered around database access, so not different enough!!!). Assembling such radically different programming technologies and getting them working together for the sake of multimedia entertainment is intriguing. It''s almost self-justifying somehow, even though the end result is "only" entertainment.

Then there is the artistic element, making your contribution to the gaming community.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
It used to be because I wanted to create games that I wanted to play but now it''s because I figured out that chicks dig game developers.
I do games cuz i believe game programming is the best thing u can ever do in computer. Not only u do kool stuffs like graphics but also get to integrate all ur maths and physics knowlege. Btw, nothing can be more cunning and trickier than graphics programming. Sometimes it really leaves me wondering "why some peoples are soooo genious" everytime i read a new advanced graphics article......... i still remember when i read the Shadow Volume technique for the first time... i remained at a gaping position for 15 long minutes and finally went like "DUH!"

I love game programming....... n i will continue to love it
Z
Still dreaming of going into my favourite computer store and seeing my game right next to Quake8, Doom7 and Serious Sam 3

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states )
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )

For me its a combination of things. The ability to visually represent concepts (graphics). The way an imaginary `world'' can be created from nothing. The technology involved (which these days, is actually Software Engineering rather than in the old days `hacking'').
quote:Original post by monkey8751
It used to be because I wanted to create games that I wanted to play but now it''s because I figured out that chicks dig game developers.

And I thought I''d lost the plot

Regards

BaelWrath

If it is not nailed down it''s mine and if I can prise it loose,
it''s not nailed down!
BaelWrathIf it is not nailed down it's mine and if I can prise it loose,it's not nailed down!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement