Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for an RPG, why not give mine a try?

This topic is 5627 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My game is a 3D science fiction roleplay game set in a dark future. The city of Metapolis has been sealed off, its government''s whereabouts unknown. No one knows what has happened, or who is in control. Why not give it a go? Spectre Software - RPGs, strategy, puzzle games, programming

Nice game, I can appreciate it's a beta but I do have some problems with it.

On the technical side:
1. Occasionally it asked me to find some files and brought up the window to look for them. I was able to continue by pressing cancel.

2. I occasionally got a scripting error, one was when I tried to access the inventory during the first battle and the other when I tried to climb a wall. I was able to continue after the error message.

On the content side:
1. The textures seem to light, when I think of dark futuristic cities I think Blade Runner or Shadowrun, everything seems so bright.

(Note the following may seem a bit nit picky)

2. My armour says -5, how can you have negative armour?

3. The thugs you fight at the start don't look like they're wearing any armour, but my gun does hardly any damage. Then in the next fight the thug is unarmed but he does comparable damage to my gun.

4. When your selecting an option during battle it has a percentage next to it, I was wondering what it meant.

Keep up the good work.

- DarkIce

[edited by - DarkIce on July 23, 2002 11:33:36 AM]

Thanks for the feedback!

Technical

1. Can you give me a list of the files it asked for?

2. I wonder if this is linked to the missing files, or something else entirely. What did you have in your inventory? What skill did your character have?

Content

1. Thats an interesting point. Would you prefer it if I used dark fogging instead of white fogging? I could definitely lower the ambient lighting somewhat too.

2. Armour of -5 just means no armour at all. Its just the way the system works. If you find this confusing I could add 5 to what it displays.

3. What gun were you using? The revolver does 6 damage and is completely pants. Invest in a rifle. As for comparable damage, a hand to hand attack can be just as lethal as a bullet in real life. You can die from both.

4. The percentage is your chance of hitting when using that option. The "ti" bit tells you how long the option will take. I apologise for having no instructions for the battle mode just yet.

Any more thoughts or comments, please, keep them coming. Also, if you want to post any thoughts on my web sites message board, please, feel free!

Spectre Software - RPGs, strategy, puzzle games, programming

They're all mp3's.
menu.mp3 when starting a new game
spooky loop.mp3 and battle.mp3 when starting the first battle

Ok I've got some points.
1. I think the scripting error is caused when right clicking on an empty inventory slot.

2. Finding places around town is harder than it should be, I think giving the major locations visible signs or making the map better (showing all the streets etc.) would solve this.

3. Some confirmation that the game has saved. At the moment you press the button, it saves no confirmation.

4. When clicking on things the noise it makes really annoys me. I don't know why and it's a minor point but it does all the same.

5. It takes ages rolling a decent character, reducing the number of below average values would make it alot easier. (BTW what are the orders of values? I'm guessing superb is the highest and terrible is the lowest.) Or maybe combine some of the stats into one value, say reflexes and initiative into a reactions stat.

- DarkIce

[edited by - DarkIce on July 23, 2002 2:06:36 PM]

Ok thanks for spotting the MP3 problem. Ive just uploaded them as a zip file, you can download them from the Necrotech page. Ive also put a thanks up there to you too!

1. Nice one, that was a definite bug!

2. I think making signs is a great idea. I want to encourage exploration around the city so I dont put too much detail on the map - there are some things not marked on the map so its worth exploring.

3. Good point. Will do it!

4. What kind of sound would you like on there instead of the little blip noise?

5. The ratings go like this "Abysmal","Terrible","Very Poor","Poor","Below Average","Average","Above Average",\
"Good","Very Good","Excellent","Superb","Exceptional"

The amount of time taken to roll a "decent character" could be addressed, but it depends on what you think of as decent. Remember that your not supposed to be able to get a character that is good at everything, because you can go to the Merc Bar and recruit two more

Thanks for all the comments and keep em coming! Oh and good luck with the boss battle!

Glad to help! Infact I like it so much I'm going to help some more

I got another scripting error from fighting a random battle. I killed him with a cheap rifle for 20 damage (it was an aimed shot). It came up with the script error message instead of the message about experience, but when I clicked to continue something funky happened. I could fly! I was above the buildings. I see you haven't changed the textures on top you lazy boy.

Also when I leveled up it said that my accuracy had improved, but when I looked at the stat it was the same as before.

- DarkIce

[edited by - DarkIce on July 23, 2002 4:02:02 PM]

When I lose and get a Game Over screen, I can't do anything but press ESC to get out of it, and then I exit the game entirely.
Maybe it should go back to the main menu or offer a "Would you like to load from your last save?" option or something like that.

Also, I find walking around quite slow. It is like I can't just hold FORWARD, but I have to wait while moving.

I also died in the first battle, and the game just stopped. I couldn't click on anything and I had to press ESC, which caused me to again leave the program entirely.

Other than that it seems to be as complex as Wizardy! Keep up the good work!

-------------------------
(Gorgeous graphics)+(beautiful sound effects)+(symphonic music)+(no gameplay) != Good game

[edited by - GBGames on July 23, 2002 4:42:01 PM]

Thanks for getting these bugs for me!

Things like the random encounter bug and the battle engine bug will be hard to nail down unless I can reproduce it here, but I will keep trying.

Walking around is quite slow. I can definitely speed it up, its no problem at all. Initially my maps were quite small, but then I reprogrammed the engine as a portal engine and could make them very large. The walking speed was slow to stop you going from one end of the small maps to another in no time at all, but now, its not relevent, so I will speed it up. Good point there.

Good suggestion on the game over screen too. I guess its just lazy design on my part to lock you into it.

Are you 100% sure about your accuracy not improving? Could it have improved a different stat and told you the wrong one?

All these issues are definitely swinging me to release a third beta next week.

Might I also second that opinion about the map?
I found myself lost, since I didn't know how to get into a building, and I wasn't sure if I had reached the building since the map didn't tell me where I was at the time. I had no compass so I didn't know which direction I was facing and so I didn't know if I was going in the right direction.

Also, while I like that your created character has a random amount of credits (unless it is dependent on your attributes?), the random price of guns/etc seemed a little less right to me. I mean, it is your game, but is there a reason why the prices are seemingly random? I felt like no matter what I got in credits, I wouldn't know if it was a lot until I saw the prices so it was hard to see if I should continue with the character.

And seriously, if you make the game return to the menu, people will be more likely to keep playing. I got kind of tired today of having to exit the game and restart it completely just to try it again. It gets tedious after awhile, and makes people quickly uninstall it. When people pay $50 for a game, they might want to overlook things to work on their investment, but a free download isn't a great investment to have to work to enjoy. Know what I mean?

I really do see great potential in this game. And it is made with Macromedia software? I didn't know it was possible!

[edited by - GBGames on July 23, 2002 5:36:51 PM]

Starting money is affected by character luck.
Shop prices are affected by character personality.

I think what I will do about getting lost is to put some signs up. I hear what you are saying. I think you are raising very good points about everything.

Yep it was made with Director. I dont think many people do know its possible. Most people who use Director are traditional 2d designers, but Im a bit of dabbler... and saw its potential!

Thanks for the comments, keep em coming!!