Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TEXTURE BORDER

This topic is 5625 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need make a texture with a white border. I tried: glCopyTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_LUMINANCE, 0, 0, x+2, y+2, 1); but it was too slow during rendering, 514x514 texture. The texture i create must contain a white border and the texture is created ''ON THE FLY''.

You can''t create a 514x514 texture, it''s not a power of two. Use a 510x510 texture, and add a border making it 512x512.

Alternatively, you can use hardware texture borders, but only if your hardware supports it (GF3+).

/ Yann

it says 2 power + 2 * border size. and it runs but very slowly.
Maybe, another way.
I render a view , copy it to a texture, then use it later.
somewhere and somehow , i need to add a white border TO THE TEXTURE.

quote:

it says 2 power + 2 * border size. and it runs but very slowly.

That's for hardware texture borders. Your hardware needs to support texture borders in order to get acceleration on a 514x514 texture. That's from GF3+ on upwards (and all ATi Radeon, iirc). What 3D card do you have ?

But the whole OpenGL texture border concept is awkward. Just create a standard 512² texture without border. Fill it with 510x510 valid texels of image data. And draw a white border around it (copy white pixels into the texture image).

/ Yann

[edited by - Yann L on July 23, 2002 5:21:15 PM]

My solution. i tried glOrtho then glineloop the border. finally, copy the texture for later use.
It works but I found that without glCopyTexImage2D. It runs alot faster. 100fps on a GeForce256. (and with) it runs 26fps.
Hmmm. just like boiling peanuts.

Guest Anonymous Poster
(Aside: You CAN create a 514x514 texture if it has a border...)

If you''re only using a solid color (like white) though, you could try TexParameterfv(TEXTURE_BORDER_COLOR, ...). I''m not sure if this will be any faster, but I''m guessing you''ll have better luck with it than you will with a texture with a border. Try it out and let us know what happens.

-- sec