Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books

This topic is 5622 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking of buying the book Programming Role playing games with directX to help get me into directX 8 and since I''m interested in RPG. But since DirectX 9 is coming out soon, is it better to wait for another good book on directx9 or should i just buy the programming rpg book. I''m quite poor right now so i can''t really afford to buy 2 programming books considering most of them are $60-$100 each.

If you wait for DirectX 9 to come out, all you will have is the SDK for a period of time. It takes awhile for the books to follow after the release. I waited forever for a DirectX 8 book. I probably will stay with DirectX 8 until I''m comfortable with it anyway. As previously stated, DirectX 8(.1) will be good in helping you to learn DirectX 9, and you have chosen a good book. I have it and am almost thru Chapter 11. Great book so far.

Paladin

from what I''ve read, DirectX 9 isn''t even gonna have all that many changes from DirectX 8.1 anyways. The two main things that 9 is going to add is compatibility with Visual Studio.net and a high level shader language, much like nVidia''s Cg, C for graphics.

quote:

It takes awhile for the books to follow after the release.

True, but many authors are on the beta team. I know theres at least one book out, but i can''t remember what it was (it was mentioned around here sometime withuink the last 4 or 5 days).

As Taralieth said, theres apparently not many changes - I certainly doubt there''ll be as many changes from DX8 to DX9 as there was from DX7 to DX8.

Juts go ahead and learn DX8, even if there are differences, the sutucture of the API has stayed the same since DX5 (when i started using it), its just the setup thats changed.

2p, Steve

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates

Don''t forget that DirectX 9 books will, in the name of better sales, mostly focus on the new stuff added since DirectX 8. DirectX 8 was a major overhaul of the DirectX architecture; you can rest assured that DirectX 9 will not be so drastic. In other words, learn DirectX 8 now while you can so you''ll be ready to jump to DirectX 9 when it''s mature.

thx for all the replies. I just ordered the book Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX 8.0 off Amazon.ca. I hope this book turns out to be as good as everyone says it is. Thx again.

~Taralieth
--------------
"The smallest Deed is better than the greatest intention."
-Unknown

"You''re gonna carry that weight."
-Cowboy bebop
--------------