Visual Studio .NET won't debug static libs

Started by
4 comments, last by Remnex 21 years, 9 months ago
Assuming that I have correctly setup my static lib ( right clicked on the project and told it was a lib ), I cannot seem to debug the lib properly. When I used Visual C++ Pro 6, I would merely set a breakpoint at or before the target function or whathaveyou that I suspected was giving me trouble. Well, the same practice will not work on .NET I tell it to "step into" the function which is inside the static lib, and it just sits there. I have tried setting breakpoints in the lib, closing the lib project, opening it, made sure I was in debug mode. I am at a loss. So back to VC++ Pro 6 for now. Unless I am missing something?
------------------------------"I'm a decorated astronaut, I don't make those kind of mistakes.""Oh now wait a minute. Look I'll show ya. I'll enter the same calculations using what we like to call 'The Right Way'."-RemZirem Software
Advertisement
I''m setting breakpoints in a static lib right at this moment(or at least a couple of moments ago) - in VS.NET. Works perfectly fine for me.

"The churches used to win their arguments against atheism, agnosticism, and other burning issues by burning the ismists, which is fine proof that there is a devil but hardly evidence that there is a God."
Ben Lindsey and Wainwright Evans
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Interesting. How are you setting up your static lib?
------------------------------"I'm a decorated astronaut, I don't make those kind of mistakes.""Oh now wait a minute. Look I'll show ya. I'll enter the same calculations using what we like to call 'The Right Way'."-RemZirem Software
I didn''t set up those .lib projects myself - they are from a pretty recent revision of the Subversion[1] project. But from what I can tell from the configuration, theres nothing special about them.
Give me a couple of minutes - I''ll try setting up a .lib project myself.

[1]subversion.tigris.org
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Have you set your debug executable for the project you''re debugging? Assuming that''s a project you''re also writing in the same workspace, try setting the breakpoint in the source of the executable project and see where it goes when you call the function.
Ok, just tested it, and it still works. These were the steps I took:
- Created a blank solution
- Added a Win32 project to it
- Set the option to Static Library in the Application Settings dialog
- Added a console project to it, which called a function defined in the lib.
- Set a bp on the place where the function was called.
- Ran it - and stepped into the .lib.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement