Jump to content
  • Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remnex

Visual Studio .NET won't debug static libs

This topic is 5871 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Assuming that I have correctly setup my static lib ( right clicked on the project and told it was a lib ), I cannot seem to debug the lib properly. When I used Visual C++ Pro 6, I would merely set a breakpoint at or before the target function or whathaveyou that I suspected was giving me trouble. Well, the same practice will not work on .NET I tell it to "step into" the function which is inside the static lib, and it just sits there. I have tried setting breakpoints in the lib, closing the lib project, opening it, made sure I was in debug mode. I am at a loss. So back to VC++ Pro 6 for now. Unless I am missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
I''m setting breakpoints in a static lib right at this moment(or at least a couple of moments ago) - in VS.NET. Works perfectly fine for me.


"The churches used to win their arguments against atheism, agnosticism, and other burning issues by burning the ismists, which is fine proof that there is a devil but hardly evidence that there is a God."
Ben Lindsey and Wainwright Evans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I didn''t set up those .lib projects myself - they are from a pretty recent revision of the Subversion[1] project. But from what I can tell from the configuration, theres nothing special about them.
Give me a couple of minutes - I''ll try setting up a .lib project myself.

[1]subversion.tigris.org

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Have you set your debug executable for the project you''re debugging? Assuming that''s a project you''re also writing in the same workspace, try setting the breakpoint in the source of the executable project and see where it goes when you call the function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok, just tested it, and it still works. These were the steps I took:
- Created a blank solution
- Added a Win32 project to it
- Set the option to Static Library in the Application Settings dialog
- Added a console project to it, which called a function defined in the lib.
- Set a bp on the place where the function was called.
- Ran it - and stepped into the .lib.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!