What would you like to see in a.....

Started by
9 comments, last by Pipo DeClown 21 years, 9 months ago
.....RTS engine? I am making my RTS engine, and I liked to hear from you a special function that would make it better. Thank you!
Advertisement
(Better in the game design forum, surely...)

Make sure you''ve played Total Annihilation 1. That contained a wealth of great ideas. In short:

1) Big BIG BIG explosions. The more, the better. In fact, include randomly exploding things... maybe trees or rocks that explode for no reason.
2) Salvaging wreckage
3) Stacking unit and building production ("+5 buildings")

Waypoints, etc.
Zoom.
Something to deter from the "Tank Rush" made so popular in WW games. While rushing in itself is a valid stradegy, Red Alert made tank rushing the only choice (assuming you want to win) for all but the best players. Throwing blobs of identical tanks against each other does a fun game make.
Yeah, TA was cool though frustrating in how slow it could be. I really liked the laser weapons; even though very simple they looked cool.
Hmm what else...
Unit upgrades like in warcraftII is nice.

Have more general ideas, like AI generals - you have hundreds of units, tell one AI to take their division on some route to left side of enemy base. Tell other AI to go to the right hand side to attack et Voila - a pincer movement. So much wealth of tactics possible. Of course you could always let the computer do that, but unless you have ai assistance, managing 3 different battles at once is near impossible. I just like the idea of larger scale games with hundreds of units each.

Read about my game, project #1

John 3:16
quote:Original post by d000hg
Yeah, TA was cool though frustrating in how slow it could be. I really liked the laser weapons; even though very simple they looked cool.
Hmm what else...
Unit upgrades like in warcraftII is nice.

Have more general ideas, like AI generals - you have hundreds of units, tell one AI to take their division on some route to left side of enemy base. Tell other AI to go to the right hand side to attack et Voila - a pincer movement. So much wealth of tactics possible. Of course you could always let the computer do that, but unless you have ai assistance, managing 3 different battles at once is near impossible. I just like the idea of larger scale games with hundreds of units each.

Then you don''t want a real time strategy game, you want a tactical game. Try Shogun: Total War (you should be able to find that or the Gold Edition for cheap now), it splits the game into two parts, a strategy part where you see a map ala Risk and build/move units around, and a tactical part, where you can use real tactics to win (trying to use flank or other tactics in most RTS games does little to nothing). BTW, you can have up to 1920 soldiers per side (not including reenforcements that are sent in when other units die).
quote:Original post by Alimonster
1) Big BIG BIG explosions. The more, the better. In fact, include randomly exploding things... maybe trees or rocks that explode for no reason.

ROFL!!! I like that idea :D

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates
Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
Shogun: Toal War is the best RTS/RTT game ever made. Any game designer would learn much from playing it.

I absolutely hate the fact that my generals may run away without my consent! ARgh!!! Realistic AI sucks!!! :-p

IMO, AI is what makes a game good. AI creates more engaging environments, it's not just the code that makes units not run into trees or each other.

Stephen Manchester
Senior Technical Lead
Virtual Media Vision, Inc.
stephen@virtualmediavision.com
(310) 930-7349

[edited by - smanches on July 23, 2002 8:53:39 PM]
Stephen ManchesterSenior Technical LeadVirtual Media Vision, Inc.stephen@virtualmediavision.com(310) 930-7349
well. i cant think of a good CUnit, yet.
So the screen is like map-only....
Im working on a team and my task is to do the engine, and there is someone to help me.
But that someone is also doing our site, so Ill have to do it alone, for now.
Could you give me some ideas on the CUnit (class CUnit{})
also, Im using DirectDraw, I dont know if it can blit 100 units at the same time, how much us or ms does BltFast use?

thnx for the ideas! I will make everything explode, try to do lots of units, and there will be many tanks to choose from, this is gonna be a realistics but fantas tic kickass game.
HELLA YEAH!!!!

[edited by - pipo declown on July 24, 2002 3:53:43 AM]
quote:Original post by smanches

I absolutely hate the fact that my generals may run away without my consent! ARgh!!! Realistic AI sucks!!! :-p

Go into the options->realism menu and disable morale.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement