Smoooth question!

Started by
7 comments, last by TeraZen 21 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I just finished a 2D Engine using Time-Based modeling. I want to know if it''s normal that Time-Based animation is not as smooth as a simple position increment per frame (I mean, adding 1 pixel to sprite position each frame). It seems to "blink", but it''s pretty good anyway. Just want to be reassured. Regards TeraZen [Order of the Arvida Hand] [Last of the Returners]
Last of the Returners
Advertisement
Yea I think that's normal, the higher your fps and/or the slower the object moves, the smoother it will look.

Digital Radiation

[edited by - +AA_970+ on July 23, 2002 10:37:08 PM]
Ok. Thanks!! I''m reassured now
Last of the Returners
Even if it looks unrelated, anti-aliasing helps a lot in making movement smooth (because it allows advancing a non-integer number of pixels).

Also try an accumulation buffer

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states )
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
Can u guys tell me what is anti-aliasing? Btw I''m using directdraw...

And what you mean by "accumulation buffer"? I''m currently using a float to store Sprite Position, and round it when needed. My sprite position is:

position = position + ElapsedTime * Velocity

Is that what you mean?

Thanks!
Make sure you get the elapsed time with high-precision timers (see my sweet snippet from ages ago on frame-rate independent motion) and not with timeGetTime. timeGetTime is in milliseconds but is really only accurate to 30-50 or so milliseconds (not enough for high frame rates to work well).

~BenDilts( void );
Yup... I''m using QueryPerformanceCounter

But I really want to know: What is anti-aliasing with DirectDraw?

Regards
Last of the Returners
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=anti+aliasing

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement