How to recreate a glitch or anomoly?

Started by
1 comment, last by Gaping Head Wound 21 years, 8 months ago
I''m working (as the main artist) on a game that features a bunch of different vision modes, one of which include a motion-tracking mode. what i''d like to see is a black screen whic shows a white flash where the geometry changes. well what i mean is, you know how if you turn off the screen refreshng,in a game,it only draws over the previous image, and doesnt clear the screen, so you get a hall of mirrors effect? well, is it possible to recreate that but havethe difference between the frames as a white outline? sorry about the spelling erors, my keyboard hast been working properly for a while. i''d press a key and nothing hpens. see, i''m an artist not a coder. don''t expect anything smart from me... you''re expecting too much.
...this is a recording.
Advertisement
clear stencil
Draw first frame with stencil increment by 1
Draw white screen
draw second frame only to stencil decrement by 1
draw second frame to colorbuffer
secondframe is now first frame and start over

something like that..

any comments?

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states )
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
I see two possible artifacts with the system which may-or-may-not be desired:

1) Moving the camera means pixels on the screen change, so nearly everything registers as moving.

2) In a dark room, everything is black. Any movement will not show up because (by the original posters method, at least) both frames are black, so there is no colour difference. This loss would be a shame since it is one of the places when movement sensing would otherwise be particularly useful.

I would suggest perhaps doing your own per vertex lighting calculation, but base it on vertex movement rather than on nearby light sources. It might even be cool to map slow movement to reddish colours, faster movement to yellow, blue, white ''lighting''.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement