Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't Smoke!!!!

This topic is 5618 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve posted a topic about blending that was helping me with my smoke generator. So, I guess I have to sort the polygons from far to near to make them blend corretly... But I wanted to ask everybody what he thinks is the best way to render smoke..... I wanted to use textured gl_Quads, scale them, let them fade away and so on...if that seems the best way for you too, how do I manage sorting them, relative to the viewer? Are there better (well faster and nicer) methods to render smoke..?

well, I am not very much on particles and such.
I''d only like to point out that although ordering from back to near is more correct, you can call glDepthMask(GL_FALSE)
to disable depth buffer writes (but not compares),whick I think is much more fast and practical.
so , to use, just glDepthMask(GL_FALSE),draw them all in any order, and dont forget to enable it again.
i''m not a pro but I hope that helps a bit

I created a fire demo which used smoke, and the only way I was satisifed with it was with about 4-6 different smoke textures, each different sizes, and then assign all of the 100 particles I used its own random fade value, random texture, random size, random speed, and let ''er rip.

Looked pretty damn good if you ask me... I''ll try and dig up some screens.

~Jesse

OpenGL_2D Project

Hmm. I''d like to stick to the more correct way of blending, I don''t know if you''ll ever run into problems using that method.
My particle engine sorted them from far to near, and I don''t think it was a big performance hit. If you have it implemented from the beginning and every step considers this, you end up with nice, clean and sleak code with correct blending, rather than working around the inconveniences of blending.

SNAFU - Sitation normal; All fucked up