Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how many lines of code?

This topic is 5625 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been messing around with DirectX for a few months now and I''m starting to get the hang of it. I have read though that OpenGL is simpler to get started with. If this is really the case, maybe I should look into using OpenGL for the graphics and DirectX for input, sound, etc. Good idea? How many of you all do this?

either is fine. some like one, others the other. please do a search on openGL v. directX in the forums. you''ll find 10000000 threads on the same topic.

it''s worth it to check out openGL so that you can better evaluate which one you''d rather use.

the one clear advantage that openGL has is that it''s cross platform. other than that, they''re pretty similar functionally. some swear by directX, others by openGL

-me

zer0Wolf

before the thread is closed
yes, opengl is simpler, much simpler, defintly simpler, no doubt that it is simpler.
I do not mean it is better, I mean it is simpler, much simpler...
What about c++ programer? opengl is simpler even for them , it is simpler for all
It is not a flame war, it is just the truth.

quote:
Original post by AlbertoT
yes, opengl is simpler, much simpler, defintly simpler, no doubt that it is simpler.

it''s only simpler to learn. once you get to extensions, d3d is much simpler than gl because it provides that functionality natively in the api. don''t spread misinformation.

and if you don''t believe me, compare d3d''s usage and pool flags with gl''s VAR and VAO extensions.

---
Come to #directxdev IRC channel on AfterNET

For your own sake just tune out all the "information" in this thread except for:

quote:
Original post by _the_phantom_
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1775.asp is a good artical on OpenGL vs D3D, very fact based as well, not a flame

Unfortunately OpenGL vs. DirectX (in any manner: Better, faster, easier) is very much an opinon based thing. Some people find OpenGL easier because they can''t understand COM, others find DirectX easier because its Object Oriented. The only opinion you should be listening to is your own; read the article, look at some beginner tutorials on both (nehe [OpenGL], nexe [DirectX) and maybe even make a simple demo in each (load a model and make it animate or something). Then decide which you want to use.

This topic is 5625 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.