Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting with models

This topic is 5620 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m starting to code a little rpg using 3d. Unfortunately, like with all 3d, some 3d models have to be created. So I like some advice on the easiest way to create models, maybe some with animation into the application. Thanks for your help. All help appreciated.

(1) Get a 3D modeling program such as Milkshape 3D or 3D Studio MAX.

(2) Make your models and export them to either .X (DirectX) or .3DS (3D Studio) format.

(3) If you have exported into .3DS format, use Microsoft''s conv3ds.exe command-line utility to convert the file to .X format. conv3ds.exe comes with the DirectX SDK.

(4) Load the .X file into your Direct3D program by using the function D3DXLoadMeshFromX(), loading into an ID3DXMesh object (use a LPD3DXMESH pointer).

(5) As far as animation goes, that all depends on what you want to do. To move your model around in your world, use a world matrix with the translation/rotation/scaling coordinates adjusted appropriately. Set the world matrix and render your mesh.

--Hoozit.

Unfortunately, the SDK version I have (Directx8.1) doesn''t include 3dsconv.exe for some reason. I have it on both computers and a complete harddrive search on both comes out with a no match!

I can''t even find it on Microsoft site. Know where I can obtain the file?

How about model animation, can I ater the mesh?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/topic.asp?url=/msdn-files/028/000/114/topic.xml

-then click on Direct3D XFile Exporters

conv3ds.exe doesnt seem to work for me however, but the 3DS Max plugin works very well.

wait, nevermind, microsoft''s website seems to not link correctly to that... for some reason.

Go to that address, then in the tree view on the left, click on DirectX 8.1 SDK Extras.

Errr....Sorry, you''re right--I guess Microsoft isn''t supporting the conv3ds.exe anymore (?) (!) I had been using my version from an older SDK install.

phatslug: The reason that link didn''t work was because the web page is using a frameset. To get links like this, you have to right-click in the frame containing the page you want, select "properties," and copy the URL from the dialog box that pops up.

--Hoozit.