Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Our Game.

This topic is 5620 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello Everyone. Myself and WeasalMongler have made significant advances on our first person combat game, including view fustrum culling, GeoMipmaps as well as a background sound. We have also improved our terrain as well as physics from gamedev community''s last feedback. We want you to test it out once again. Please also leave information about your computer and graphics card as well as framerate, when you give us feedback. As you will see, our tank is still crappy, but our modeller friend Melvosh is working on it. Here is the Link. Enjoy!! SporadicFire.

Ok, it runs slowly on my 800MHz WinXP machine. I have an ATI Rage Pro with 16MB.
I am not sure, but was I supposed to be able to move forward by pressing up? I couldn''t move except left and right, and I didn''t know how to shoot.

Hehe, I always have to post. Yup, I''m the other programmer guy. This is a significant improvement on before. COming soon is the Skydome, the new tank model, improved phyics and particles systems (I''ve nearly finished this bit).

Like SporadicFire said... Enjoy.

- Weasalmongler

Lookin good!

Ran around 32 FPS on my system (my systems pretty outdated) but ran well. What kind of LOD are you using? Sometimes you can see some little artifacts with it in the distance but its not that noticeable. System specs:

Intel Pentium III
Windows 98
Nvidia Riva TNT 2 (32 mb)
256 MB RAM

100fps constnat
1.3ghz tbird
256mb ddr ram
Geforce2 gts 32mb

The terrain looks very nice and the FPS is perfectly smooth on my computer. The only problem with the terrain I noticed is that the terrain in the distance that''s not at full detail is offset slightly upwards so you can see a visible line where the terrain shifts up ahead of you.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hey guys! Just to tell you that I think you managed to sort out all the kinks, your game ran fine. Nice work!

100 fps @ 1024x768x16 , AMD 800Mhz, ELSA gloria 2! some loading screen would be cool to see that the game is loading. the terrain is a bit messy at some distance (like the other poster said already before). i would really like to see the game with a skydome.
other thing i noticed is that the lighting on the tank seems a bit uncorrect at some angles (it gets too dark on the back side of the tank), how is the lighting done?

keep up the good work...
intellibug

It uses standard OpenGL smooth shaded lighting with flat shaded normals on the MD2 models. I noticed that lighting thing, but haven''t had time to look in to it yet. Thanks for the extra feedback.

Pipo DeClown - Your post confused me :S

- Weasalmongler

Howdy,

Firstly - quit harrassing people to play your game, there's really no need, and besides usually no news is good news.

Secondly - it doesn't run on my system.
I get your startup window asking me to select a screen res etc. then OpenGL starts up and I hear a white noise type sound from my speakers and get an exception.
This occurs when trying to run in both fullscreen and windowed mode.

System:
PIII 1.2GHz
Mbility Radeon 7500 (64MB)
512MB RAM
Windows XP Professional
Latest HW Quality Assured signed drivers installed for the vid. card.

Some free info for you:
Its an access violation (trying to access 0x0) in the main executable. Debugger won't tell me anymore than that (cos its a release build I assume)

I'd also recommend posting a screenshot, it'll entice more peopl with slowish connections to download.

Toby

Gobsmacked - by Toby Murray

[edited by - tobymurray on July 25, 2002 11:04:33 AM]

tobymurray:
Settle down. People are responding, and I have no problem seeing someone asking for feedback. It isn''t like no one is responding.
Also, it seems that WinXP has issues with this game. Since we are the only two people to respond saying that we have XP, I wouldn''t mind seeing what other people have issues with.

~32 fps on my PIII 600, 384MB RAM, 32MB TNT2.

Movement is kind of funky with the sliding sideways and friction algorithm. I noticed the same graphics glitch that Ivko mentioned. Very distracting. Not a bad effort overall though.

Guest Anonymous Poster
p4 2.0Ghz MSI GF4 Ti4200
800x600x32 -> 100 Fps

Runs fine, except for the problem noted by the prevouis posters.

I get the same problem as tobey, and I have somewhat similar system specs. But I have Windows 2000. All my drivers are updated. That is not the problem.

same what AP just said.

also why is the tank floating in air? if you stand still and spin, it''s very noticable.

p3 500
ati radeon 8500 64 mb
128 mb ram
more fps than i could tell (probly over 100)

---
shurcool
wwdev

p3 1.4 gHZ...
WinMe (barf!)...
nVidia Riva TNT 2 (or something like that, they words might be in the wrong order)...
~40-45 FPS

it looks nice, but i think you should rework the movement code... if i get going fast, then turn 90 degrees, i keep sliding sideways for a while; also, when stopped on a slope, the tank slides downhill even when sideways. it is a nice, smooth effect, but not one would expect from a tank (isn''t the whole point of tank treads to get excellent traction on crappy terrain?)

Thanks for your comments krez. We agree. However, its meant to be a hover tank (and we are waiting for the model). For the time being imagine it were a hover tank and judge the physics accordingly.

-SporadicFire

45fps in 1024z768x32 on Duron750, GF2MX, 128MB, WinME

Having the fps counter up there distorts figures. If you go to the corner where it''s easiest to see, you get a much greater fps (about X2 for me). If you go to the nearest point to the centre where you can still just see it, the fps drops to 45 for me.

Read about my game, project #1

John 3:16

Just so you have more input for WinXP.

Pentium IV 1.7 Ghz
Geforce3 with latest drivers

~135 fps at 1024x768x32 fullscreen no vsync

Seems to work fine but takes a long time to load (5 seconds?) which made me think it crashed so you might want to add visual indication that things are still going. As mentioned before the lighting on the tank is funny. My guess is that you only have one polygon for the back of the tank which causes weird lighting effects sometimes.

Dan