What's your favorite tool to write your C++ code?

Started by
20 comments, last by merlin9876 21 years, 8 months ago
Another newbie question, sorry... Visual C++? Notepad? What''s easier to use and to get "to the point" withough too much bells and whistles? Is VC++ a pain since it''s mainly used for apps dev? (or I may be wrong on this...)
Advertisement
Most people will use the MS Visual C++ IDE cos it comes with their compiler - I am one such person. I also use EditPlus with DJGPP, and tinkered briefly with Dev C++ before giving up due to the lack of certain issues like the seeming inability to compile individual files and so on. Notepad is crap though. If you''re currently using NotePad and have $20 to spare, pick up EditPlus or TextPad instead, and if not, at least download MetaPad. (Use Google if you''ve never heard of any of these. They will come straight up if you click the I''m Feeling Lucky button.)

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
Personally, I use the Visual C++ IDE. I know that it''s not an easy utility to use, but Vi (or the Windows port of Vim) is another free option. Very difficult interface to use at first, but I know people that swear by it, and it can be a very efficient tool if you got to know it intimately.

--Buzzy
(formerly buzzy_b)
quote:Original post by Kylotan
... and tinkered briefly with Dev C++ before giving up due to the lack of certain issues like the seeming inability to compile individual files and so on.

I don''t think you can compile single files (without a project) from the IDE in MSVC either. Try it from the command line, that''s what I do for testing software with MSVC most of the time, and that''s how I always use GCC.

NEdit has become my favorite editor for code, although I''ve never bothered to run it in Windows (it''s probably not worth the effort, depending on the quality of the port). Other ones that I''ll occasionally use are XEmacs and GVIM (both of which have a Win32 port), although they''re very different from what you''d expect (I''m still getting used to them myself), they''re very nice editors.

i use VIDE with the borland free compiler... sometimes i just use notepad, if i don''t feel like loading a project and all that crap.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I''ve been using Visual Studio for a few years now and I think it is probably the best development environment. Though it does have shortcomings. Fortunately there is a shareware program called "Visual Assist" which sorts out a large proportion of these problems. It certainly helps you to code much, much faster.

Rory.
When I code things using with DirectX (which is usually) I normally use the VC++ IDE because I use the compiler.

Other times, when I''m using the free Borland compiler (for console (dos-like) stuff) I''ll use Crimson Editor. It''s a nice little program that allows you to switch between open files really easily and has a directory listing on the left side so you can open files you normally work with easily also. It also comes with a syntax highlighter for C/C++. The other thing I really like about it is that it will underline pairs of braces, brackets, and parantheses which comes in real handy sometimes.
I'm learning, just like the best of us...Ok, now assume a spherical cow... :)
huh!
can you find a linker out there?
(if you work with notepad)
MS-DOS Editor. The best text editor, ever.

I''m going to write a clone for UNIX systems (FreeBSD and/or Linux) one of these days

---
Bart
----Bart
quote:Original post by trzy
MS-DOS Editor. The best text editor, ever.

I''m going to write a clone for UNIX systems (FreeBSD and/or Linux) one of these days

Pico and MCEdit are a lot like it (they''re two ''easy'' unix terminal text editors).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement