Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glTexImage2D

This topic is 5621 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I''m having a problem with glTexImage2D(). It doesn''t seem to be generating the texture like you''d expect. I''m passing it an 8*8 4 channel image, but when I use the texture, it just comes out white (or untextured). gluBuild2DMipmaps() works properly, though... ie: glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex); gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 4, _width, _height, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, buffer); //this works glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex); glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, _width, _height, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, buffer); //this doesn''t I want to use glTexImage2D() because it is *much* faster and I''m not using the mipmaps from that texture anyway... I''m also not getting any errors from OpenGL (via glGetError()). Any suggestions?

I had the same problem(http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=104234), but it turned out it was because the image i used wasnt the right size(ie a power of 2), you see the mipmap method scales the image before it calls all the glTexImage2D.
But if you are sure the image is 8x8 then i dont know what the problem could be.
Have you set filter settings for the texture?
For example:
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
I had some problems with disappearing textures when these werent set too.

Dont value my advice too high though, im a newbie to OpenGL.

quote:

glTexSubImage2D() is faster than glTexImage2D by ALONG shot, certainly on Nvidia cards, and I assume the same can be said for ATi''s

Use glTexImage2D to create a texture, and glTexSubImage2D to update it.

quote:

8x8 is too small, most cards support 16x16 as the smallest size of a base mip level

No, any size down to 1x1 is supported as a base level. This is independent of mipmapping.

timmie:
1) make sure that _width and _height are both powers of two.
2) make sure you have disabled mipmapping: the MIN filter must not be set to one of the mipmapping modes.