Simple but weird triangle problem ...

Started by
8 comments, last by SimDemon 21 years, 8 months ago
I am learning Direct3D from the NeXe website. When I try to draw a square or triangle it appears, but it has many lines through it. I tried to do a screen capture, but the square doesn''t show up in the image generated. Anyhow, please tell me why I get a lot of lines through triangles, squares, and everything else. Thanks, Matt Utley If thispost = 0 Then GoBack() Else Read() End If
I'll have a link to the TriFaze website as soon as possible. It's still currently being designed, by myself of course! =) I'll update the URL and my signature as soon as possible.Feel free to send me a message on Yahoo! or AOL IM™. =)
Advertisement
hey!
try to download the tutorial then run it, if it still sucks, maybe your computer does too.
LoL! I do kind of think my computer sucks. I just wanted a simple something I could program on. I didn''t really plan on using it for gaming. Our family computer ( I''m 15, BTW ) will probably run it fine. I will try it real quick. This computer that it doesn''t work right on is a PII 350MHz, ATI 3D Rage Pro 2X AGP 16MB, and 128MB RAM.

If thispost = 0 Then
GoBack()

Else
Read()
End If
I'll have a link to the TriFaze website as soon as possible. It's still currently being designed, by myself of course! =) I'll update the URL and my signature as soon as possible.Feel free to send me a message on Yahoo! or AOL IM™. =)
This is totally messed up. My other computer has 512MB RAM, AMD Athlon, GeForce 3 16MB. It gave me my error, "Failed to initialize Direct3D 8."

If thispost = 0 Then
GoBack()

Else
Read()
End If
if you can''t post an image, could you post your draw routine? it''s hard to help debug someone''s code without said code.

-me
Try updating your display drivers...
There is no problem so complicated that it cannot be complicated further.
quote:It gave me my error, "Failed to initialize Direct3D 8."
[\quote]
Try installing DirectX 8(.1).
Here''s the code I use to draw the scene:

void DrawScene () {	///////////////////////////////////////////////	// Clear the scene to black	///////////////////////////////////////////////	d3d->g_pD3dDev->Clear (0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB (0, 0, 0), 1.0f, 0);	///////////////////////////////////////////////	// Begin the scene	///////////////////////////////////////////////	d3d->g_pD3dDev->BeginScene ();	///////////////////////////////////////////////    // Scene-Drawing functions go here	///////////////////////////////////////////////	// Matrix code	D3DXMATRIX mat;		D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH(&mat, D3DX_PI/6, 640/480, 1.0, 100.0);	d3d->g_pD3dDev->SetTransform(D3DTS_PROJECTION, &(D3DMATRIX)mat);	D3DXMatrixIdentity(&mat);	d3d->g_pD3dDev->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &(D3DMATRIX)mat);	D3DXMatrixTranslation(&mat, 0, 0, 10.0);	d3d->g_pD3dDev->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &(D3DMATRIX)mat);	///////////////////////////////////////////////	// The triangle coordinates	///////////////////////////////////////////////	vtxQuad[0].Create (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);	vtxQuad[1].Create (x1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0);	vtxQuad[2].Create (0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1);	vtxQuad[3].Create (1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1);    ///////////////////////////////////////////////	// Set the cullmode render state	///////////////////////////////////////////////	d3d->g_pD3dDev->SetRenderState (D3DRS_CULLMODE, D3DCULL_NONE);	///////////////////////////////////////////////	// Set the lighting to "off"	///////////////////////////////////////////////	d3d->g_pD3dDev->SetRenderState (D3DRS_LIGHTING, light);	///////////////////////////////////////////////	// Set the vertex shader	///////////////////////////////////////////////	d3d->g_pD3dDev->SetVertexShader (D3DFVF_CVertex);	///////////////////////////////////////////////	// Draw the quad	///////////////////////////////////////////////	d3d->g_pD3dDev->DrawPrimitiveUP (D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 2,		vtxQuad, sizeof (CVertex) );	///////////////////////////////////////////////	// End the scene	///////////////////////////////////////////////	d3d->g_pD3dDev->EndScene ();	d3d->g_pD3dDev->Present (NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);}

The way I came up with d3d->g_pD3dDev is I made a D3D class, for initializing D3D. TFD3D* d3d = new TFD3D; Now, CVertex is the vertex class used on the NeXe website, and vtxQuad is: CVertex vtxQuad[4]. I hope you can help me with this code.

If thispost = 0 Then
GoBack()

Else
Read()
End If
aj!
that init stuff must go into somewhere else.
DrawScene must only contain:
Clear()
Begin()
SetVertexShader()
DrawPrimitve()
End()
Present()

I think!
you should make another functin that Inits, and then load it one time before you render. And that light stuff, i dont know if you added a light thing in it, but just that code isnt enough.

Just download the source from Nexe and run it.

[edited by - pipo declown on July 25, 2002 4:31:55 PM]
I''ve seen funny lines etc before and it has been when the z-buffer hasn''t been created on the CreateDevice. Alternatively if you have and older card, it might not be able to handle a 32-bit z-buffer so maybe reduce this to 16.

Rory.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement