Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Java MMOG

This topic is 5617 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry if this is a FAQ; I'm new to this forum. Could it be possible to create a MMOG using Java? All the Java games I know are similar to the popcap classics --- nowhere near a MMOG. I know graphics are a big deal nowadays, but Java has the advantage of not requiring the user to download any potentially dangerous files. Couldn't a MMO FF-style (the old FFs) RPG be made in Java? Are there any? Furthermore, I read that IE only supports Java 1.1, but it can be upgraded. How wide-spread are these upgrades? If I want my users to feel 'safe', I'd prefer if they didn't have to download a plug-in/upgrade for IE. What does everybody think? Cédric EDIT: My apologies to anyone who clicked on the link and was led to www.popcaps.com --- a useless page, with 5-6 popups. [edited by - cedricl on July 25, 2002 2:30:34 PM] [edited by - cedricl on July 25, 2002 2:30:59 PM]

Java is a fine language for MMOGs. Like you said, graphics and other hi-performance technologies might limit it''s use, but it''s a great language.

As far as downloading dangerous software, the publisher of said game would be sued till death. Not many MMOGs are hosted by individuals.

Stephen Manchester
Senior Technical Lead
Virtual Media Vision, Inc.
stephen@virtualmediavision.com
(310) 930-7349

quote:
Original post by smanches
As far as downloading dangerous software, the publisher of said game would be sued till death. Not many MMOGs are hosted by individuals.

Maybe ''dangerous'' wasn''t an appropriate word. When I download a game from unknown company X, I am generally affraid that it will
a) Screw Windows (unintentionally)
b) Leave stuff that won''t be uninstalled
c) Install spyware
Whereas anybody can go to PopCaps and play Bejeweled, without installing anything. That''s good.

Do you know of any popular Java-based MMOG?

Is Java 1.1 severely limiting, or is it OK for games?

Cédric

Shadowbane is using an engine that was developed in Java, dont know if they changed it though. There should be a link to to the engine from shadowbanes website.

Ohh... 3D. Nice (for a Java game), but what I''m looking for is a "click and play" game. Send me a link to the page, I click on it, and bang, I begin a new adventure in a MMOG, without any explicit downloading whatsoever, like Bejeweled.

I''ll take a look at it, though. Thanks for the link.

Cédric

quote:
Shadowbane is using an engine that was developed in Java, dont know if they changed it though.

Where did you hear this? I found no mention of this on the Shadowbane website and a google search for shadowbane and java does not turn up anything about it. Shadowbane apparently works on both Mac and PC so it is certainly possible...

unfortunatly you still have to allow certain security risks like allow read and writing to sockets. thus its not perfect and still can be some form DOS, start a server, connect to undesirable servers, etc.

in any case you have to run a dedicated server to handle the clients.

using 3d or any direct special make graphics fast api for java (ie java3d) uses directx on windows thus can potentially be exploit and bring things down. java is not designed for such things, it requires similar privilages to other "normal" games to work properly. heck using a plugin means having activex running, thus it could be something else instead of a java app being run.

want the user to feel safe? have no install beyond unzipping a zip file into a directory. uninstall? delete the directory. its that simple. smart users will run virus scan like normal and everything is fine and dandy.

The engine they use is named Arcane 3D. And Shadowbane had the Arcane logo on their site a loooong time ago. Can still be seen Here. I doubt there is two 3D engines named Arcane with the same logo. But as I said, Im not sure if they changed language afterwards, it was a long time ago I noticed this.

You can also search google for Arcane 3d. Youll find some stuff on gamasutra etc.

quote:
The engine they use is named Arcane 3D.

Ah, so you are making a reference to Arcane Technologies who used to develop the Magician OpenGL bindings for Java. I doubt Shadowbane has anything to do with them though. Arcane3D seems to be how Wolfpack Studios are branding their engine, probably to be able to license it to others. Arcane3D seems to be developed in-house at Wolfpack as it is listed on the product page at their website. I doubt Shadowbane has much to do with Java, Star Wars Galaxies uses Java for scripting though according to the people from Sun at javagaming.org.

Arcane Technologies also seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth, at least their website is gone.

krez: That''s exactly what I was referring to. Thanks!Nice to know it''s possible.

Let''s not turn this thread into a discussion of Shadowbane, please.

Nobody answered my question about Java 1.1, so I''ll ask again: Assuming I don''t want "fancy" graphics like those shown in the link krez mentionned, and that I want to reach the largest possible user base of "softcore" gamers, should I choose Java 1.1 over newer versions because a lot of browsers aren''t upgraded yet?

Cédric