Game Programming: All in one

Started by
14 comments, last by popcorn 21 years, 8 months ago
I don't know what Anonymous has against Prima books. They have came through for me where others failed, basically. There were occasional errors in the code. The books are not necessarily perfect but are decent overall. The Prima books that helped me greatly are The Zen of Direct3D Programming and Special Effects Programming with DirectX . I'd say that they are a good continuation of Game Programming: All in One , but may have excess baggage, such as a repeat of DirectX basics.

They won't do you much good if you don't know the programming language you plan to use though. You'll need general C/C++ knowledge for the two Prima books I mentioned.

Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen.
Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless.
Proxima Rebellion - A 3D action sim with a hint of strategy

[edited by - BS-er on July 29, 2002 10:29:52 PM]
Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen.Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless.Machines, Anarchy and Destruction - A 3D action sim with a hint of strategy
Advertisement
I would just like to state for the record that
"Game Programming All In One" is published by:

the PREMIER PRESS GAME DEVELOPMENT SERIES. not "Prima".

and it IS an excellent book.

Now I'm not sure if Premier & Prima are affiliated, someone else may be able to shed some light on this. Perhaps people think it's published by Prima because both publishers use the red stripe at the top cover of the book?

[edited by - Zenassem on July 30, 2002 11:40:02 AM]
~Zen
Premier Press was formerly Prima, hence the confusion.
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
>>Here is all you need to do: buy Accelerated C++ and read that, judging from your post it is the right level for you. Once you have read that read "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++. You must get it. I would not even buy a book on game programming. Just make console games (popup dos window) for a while, like a text rpg or something.<<

Of course, if you''re anything like me then learning all the intricies of C++ before you get to making a game will bore you to tears so much so that you''ll give it up. Sure, at some point you''ll want to learn all the ins and outs of C++ to be a really good and efficient game programmer, but if you try to do all of that up front I sincerely doubt you''ll make it to the game making stage.

...then again, different strokes for different folks.

-John
- John
I understand what you are saying Teknofreek, I have been at the stage many times when I have felt like everything I am learning about C and C++ has nothing to do with making games but I think I am reaching a stage where I can I am realising that you must learn how to use the language otherwise you will not understand how to make the most of the materials(books, games programming tutorials on the net etc) that are available. Does that make sense??

How about them apples?
How about them apples?

A book similar to "game programming: all in one" might be the Sams teach yourself game programming in 21 days with DirectX to be out around August 15th 2002. It deals with the creation of a 2D videogame console like rpg.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement