Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MUD development

This topic is 5618 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello people ! I have been looking on the Net for quite some time now, and it seems there is a ton of engines for MUD and other related games, but there doesnt seem to be any sort of tet on the actual design of the program itself. I am looking for the basic design problems that are inherent to MUD development, what are the issues generally encountered. Stuff like level/area structure, how to design a combat system, timing and other things. I have found a few stuff on game specific problems, like how do you code an area in one game or another, but nothing about how the actual design part of such a structure... I guess I could download a few sources and give it a look, but I''d love to see something a bit more interesting, to see what motivate the design choices. Anyway, if you have links or comments, I''d appreciate.
Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

Well to creator areas most MUDs support Area Builders which are interfaces or programs the builders use to create rooms and zones. All that other stuff is beyond me, I figure it''s just coding...

Bleu Shift - www.bleushift.tk

Muds are quite simple really, which is why there''s not much point having lengthy documentation on how to write them. It really is down to personal choice, as there''s 101 ways you might want to represent things like the area structure (rooms? continuous coordinates? auto-generated wilderness?) or creatures (hard-coded types? classes for prototypes and instances? all creatures as potential prototypes for others? players and non-players as the same object type, or different, or with a common base class?) and so on. Generally your best bet is to think about what you want to do in more detail and ask about that, because it is hardly ever MUD-specific when you think about it.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

Yes MUDs may seem simple because of their interface, but over the years the gameplay has advanced past your typical 3d MMORPG in development today. Find some *nix tcp/ip tutorials, start small and try to feature match the most popular ones.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes MUDs may seem simple because of their interface, but over the years the gameplay has advanced past your typical 3d MMORPG in development today. Find some *nix tcp/ip tutorials, start small and try to feature match the most popular ones.

One of the cleaner code bases out there is CircleMUD, which has a collection of documents and code snippets at devloper.circlemud.org. I would suggest that you download the latest version, get it so that you can compile it, and then examine how it works step by step. As said above, it''s all quite simple once you just take a look around. However, I believe that there''s a coding document (called coding.doc) lying around on the site somewhere.

_________________________________________________________________________________
The wind shear alone from a pink golfball can take the head off a 90-pound midget from 300 yards.
-Six String Samurai

Yep. Download the source to a few different ones (Circle is nice) and check out the code. Look at comments in the code. Look at the various features in-game and compare between different muds. They are pretty simple, but can be very cool.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Do a google-search for "16k mud contest". That''ll probably give you some ideas.

Well, tahks guys

Yes, I thought as well, it really is down to personal preferences, how you want to represent the world. I was jsut wondering if there was a sort of "de facto" standard as it usually happens.

In fact, I have my own ideas of mixing a grid based system for very high level (the land itself, travelling between towns) and then a more free form structure for lowe levels of details (the inside of towns) which would be more like a RPG book (you know, the books where you have to "go to number xxx").
My idea is to use more descriptive text with maybe a background picture as illustration for each area, rather than do an overdetailed thing.
I would love to go back to the style used in Darklands (by Microprose), to say it simply.

In fact, I was thinking specifically about how to encode the structure in a file, in a form that would allow users to reate their own areas simply. I was thinking of something like XML as it seems quite nice and natural, and open to expansions...

any thoughts ?

quote:
Original post by augmne
Yes MUDs may seem simple because of their interface, but over the years the gameplay has advanced past your typical 3d MMORPG in development today.

That doesn''t exactly take very much, does it?

It''s even less remarkable when you consider that most MMORPGs were developed by teams of ex-MUD developers, and that one of them (Everquest) was even once thought to have been based directly on MUD code (Diku MUD, Sojourn to be more precise).

The AI and gameplay of most single-player RPGs tends to be far better than most MUDs, and everything you need to know about programming those games - to a basic level, at least - is quite easy to find on this site and others.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

quote:
Original post by ahw
In fact, I was thinking specifically about how to encode the structure in a file, in a form that would allow users to reate their own areas simply. I was thinking of something like XML as it seems quite nice and natural, and open to expansions...

See the articles section of Skotos. Somewhere there''s an article on how Skotos integrated XML into their MUD server.

Also I recommend checking out LPMuds, especially DGD.

Thanks again guys !

I downloaded Diku and Circle to have a look. It''s the kind of stuff I wanted to see, so that''s fine.
Also it''s what I feared, it''s all a big bunch of Roguelike style code. Add a feature and you have to add tons of stuff in a dozen of other .C files.
But anyway, it''s good to have something to have as a reference.
There is much thinking to do now