I found something for all us newbies(your oppinion on it please)

Started by
12 comments, last by Warabit 21 years, 9 months ago
at this web site www.projectfun.digipen.edu they are doing a thing for $30 dollars.Basically it teaches you how to make games if your a newbie they provide the software to for $30 u get full access to the site ,downloads,plus a years subscription to nintendo Power.Also if u are a NP subscriber already u can get it for only $15 me being a newbie will probably do this while i learn C++(its not required though) so what do you think of it?is it good or no? for more info go to this link http://www.digipen.edu/fun.shtml [EDIT] added second link[EDIT] [edited by - Warabit on July 25, 2002 7:15:03 PM]
Advertisement
Sounds like a good deal for the free (well for $30) software. But why would you want to pay to be part of that probably small/medium community for a year, when you can have a unlimited free subscription here? Except for the cheap software, you get free advice from the message boards, from the articles, from the hosted sites, from the links to other gr8 sites. I''d say save your money and stick wiv wot u allready have.

Just my opinion

-J
ya but i dont know where to start making game this will help also Digipen ,i believe,is owned by NINTENDO and is a School u goto to learn game development.What you do on the site is basically what you would do in the first semester
Anyone has more in-depth details on exactly what one gets? The site gives horrifically little detail about the whole deal, considering it''s required to pay.
quote:
proprietary software

quote:
ProjectFUN presents the task at hand from the gamers point of view, allowing you to visually see your game at work, instead of looking at endless C/C++ files. You will be dealing mostly with game components; however, some of these game components will have to contain "source code", which you will program.

Basically its Klik and Play. They likely want younger people (8-12) to get interested in game development as a future career and Digipen as a college.
http://www.digipen.edu/fun.shtml
i found out about it in Nintendo power it has 3 pages about it
quote:Original post by Michalson

proprietary software

quote:
ProjectFUN presents the task at hand from the gamers point of view, allowing you to visually see your game at work, instead of looking at endless C/C++ files. You will be dealing mostly with game components; however, some of these game components will have to contain "source code", which you will program.

Basically its Klik and Play. They likely want younger people (8-12) to get interested in game development as a future career and Digipen as a college.

that would be true if kids younger than 13 could sign up but they cant
software:
borland compiler
VIDE
references, tutorials, etc:
gamedev.net (be sure to check out their affiliates too)
cplusplus.com
winprog.org

there, i just saved you 30 bucks (donate it to some charity if you feel you MUST pay)... and you will actually learn how to make a game, not play with a "game maker" program...
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I went to DigiPen''s campus for two weeks and studied game programming. I was introduced to FUNeditor and I must say I hated it. I and a friend were the only kids in the class not using FUN to create our first game.

FUNeditor is just a tool that you tell what to do and you don''t have to code anything. Within a day you could make Mario, but what''s the point, you didn''t really make it. To me it''s all about accomplishing something, not having a machine do something for me. Like making a professional web site using FrontPage, what''s the point?

Any more specific questions are welcome, I know alot about this.

Peace
- Luc
Peace,Luc BooneTrans9 Studios
ok cool,krez,but one thing i need a Tutoriel to teach C++ i went and downloaded the "LEARN C++ IN 21 DAYS" but how do i read it?
also is this site http://www.gamecoding.org.uk/tutorials/showarticle.php?article=2001/apr/cpp&page=1

good for learning C++?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement