Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Damage Models?

This topic is 5622 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How important is the damage model to gamers and designers? I have been playing many popular fps''s lately, Wolfenstein and Medal of Honor, and Day of Defeat online. I really like DoD''s model, and don''t mind dying that much faster, since the enemies drop just as fast. In the other two, I pump way too many rounds into a guy before they quit. Shouldn''t the move to better graphics, sound and physics include more realistic damage? Note: I am in no way disappointed with the general gameplay in any of these titles, just somewhat frustrated at losing my suspension of disbelief.

Well, it''s always the same old story, people (of course, not me ) always see what other people have got that they don''t, and dont see what they have...
So when they shoot the other guy, they dont tell themselves "well, at least it''s as hard to kill me", no, they think "what the heck ! He is invulnerable". Because of course, when they are shot at, they don''t think "well, it took him 4 headshots to get me", they think "how the heck did I die so quickly".

Relativity, in a word. It''s all down to that. And the fact that no one likes to lose.

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

soldier of fortune pissed me off, not because the damage model was screwy throughout the game, but because it changed at the end all of the sudden.
through the entire game, almost everyone could be taken out with a shot to the head with a .44... then these guys showed up who had on armor or something, you had to shoot them in the face a few times to knock off their faceplates, then the headshot works... then, suddenly, the BOSS guy shows up and for some reason several missiles in his face don''t even stun him! he was practically invincible in a world of normally-dying guys... pissed me off.
sorry for my rambling...

Guest Anonymous Poster
thin it''s called armor... yeah. it''s called body armor. it protects you from ballistic projectiles such as bullets and shrapnel, and has an annoying tendency to save peoples'' lives.

first off, there is no .44 caliber gun in sof2. only a .45 pistol.

shoot their legs or their necks, not their helmets or facemasks.

there is no boss.

there are no missiles in the game. only rpg''s and guided AA rockets.

i think that you should go for a more realistic damage model, as it takes away the "quake" feeling seen in a lot of fps''s. like rtcw, q3, ut, etc.

I think a little market research would be necessary to answer your question - but the general trend definitely points to more realistic damage models. I think this may in part be due to better interfaces and more detailled gameplay systems - If you look at a Wolfenstein3d or a Doom you have to have a damage model that allows for more hits, simply because there is no differentiated interaction with the enemy/player. If you have more than hit/not hit interaction you can reduce the amount of avg hits a player / enemy takes, because your gameplay mass comes from variety of interaction, not sheer volume. So if all that applies, it´s more of a logical evolution than a current trend.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
thin it''s called armor... yeah. it''s called body armor. it protects you from ballistic projectiles such as bullets and shrapnel, and has an annoying tendency to save peoples'' lives.

they have anti-bazooka body armor? i have heard of bullet-proof vests, but nothing that could protect you from that! besides, that wasn''t my point; i was speaking of how ALL OF THE SUDDEN the game CHANGED from a more or less realistic damage model to "fight these bulletproof tank guys".
quote:
first off, there is no .44 caliber gun in sof2. only a .45 pistol.

i never said SOF2, i said SOF. and the most certainly IS a .44 pistol in SOF. if you weren''t such a nitpicking moron you might have read my post properly.
quote:
shoot their legs or their necks, not their helmets or facemasks.

tried it, they basically ate up bullets of any sort until their faceplate was broken off.
quote:
there is no boss.

jackass, don''t tell me there''s no boss when you don''t even know what game i am playing!
quote:
there are no missiles in the game. only rpg''s and guided AA rockets.

really? what the hell were those explosive tube things that flew out of my missile-launcher?