Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drawing a 'decal'?

This topic is 5622 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

how do you draw a decal or texture onto something else? like a car shadow, i''m doing it the lazy way because this is my first d3d app, and i don''t wnat to complicate things with shadow volumes. is there a way to just draw a texture onto something else? i''ve seen it done lots of times in games, there must be a way. it also must be fast becasue its on everything

Sure there''s a way to draw one texture onto another. It''s multitexturing. There''s plenty of uses for it, lightmaps use it. Anyways, the problem isn''t doing the texturing, it''s what the texture should look like and where it should be placed. You cannot just click where you want the texture to be and make it match the shadows perfectly. Lightmaps however will figure that out. Many shadow techniques(ie: planar shadows, shadow volumes, etc) are used to create dynamic shadows. Detailed ones should be done using lighmaps, at least with the current technology.

---
My Site
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org

this is my first d3d app, i don''t need to get into shadow volumes now all i want is to draw a box thats gray alpha blended with the terrain below it. thats all i want, that has to be pretty simple, right?