Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting BIG fps with BIGGER landscapes

This topic is 5620 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all ive been making a landscape engine using height maps and its working great but the greatness is only happening at maps that are 128x128 or lower mainly because of my crappy intel video card so i decided to split the map into patches witch i did each patch has its own vertex buffer and index buffer but a thought just popped into my head all the patches can use the same vertex buffer but have different index buffers this would make life a hell of alot easier but still produce the same if not better results. The only thing is will it work?? i dont have much time to programme these days so i wont to know if its worth doing or should i just keep my same messy code?? [edited by - crans on July 26, 2002 5:41:01 AM]

Yeah, doable. Or just one indexbuffer/vb combo and generate the vertices for each chunk into this and render before doing the next chunk. That''d work. Remember lots of cards can''t have more than 65535 vertices in an index buffer though.

Read about my game, project #1

John 3:16