use of class template requires template argument list ---> ???

Started by
5 comments, last by Merwin van Dijk 21 years, 8 months ago
When i'm trying to compile my program, I get the following error: d:\cpp\class\bmp.h(13) : error C2955: 'CBasicDraw' : use of class template requires template argument list I've a class CBmp derived from a class CBasicDraw, which use's templates. CBasicDraw is declared like this:

template <typename var >
class CBasicDraw{
protected:
	DDSURFACEDESC2 m_ddsd;
	long m_lPitch;
	var *m_lpsDest;
public:
	CBasicDraw(){
		INIT_DX_STRUCT(m_ddsd);
		m_lPitch=0;
		m_lpsDest=NULL;
	}
// a lot more code

} 

and CBmp like this:

class CBmp : public CBasicDraw{
private:
	BITMAPFILEHEADER m_FileHeader;
	BITMAPINFOHEADER m_InfoHeader;
	RGBQUAD *m_lpPalette;
	BOOL m_bSrcColorKey; 
public:
	LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE4 m_lpsImage;
	DWORD m_dwWidthPixels, m_dwHeightPixels;
	CBmp();
	~CBmp();
	BOOL Load(char *lpcFileName, BMPLOADDESC LoadDesc);
	BOOL SetPalette(LPDIRECTDRAWPALETTE lpddPalette, int iNrStart=0, int iNrEnd=256);
	BOOL Draw(LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE4 lpsDest, int xDest, int yDest, RECT *lprSrc=NULL);
};

I have totally no idea of what's wrong so I hope that anybody here does.. Merwin [edited by - Merwin van Dijk on July 26, 2002 8:25:26 AM] [edited by - Merwin van Dijk on July 26, 2002 8:27:49 AM] [edited by - Merwin van Dijk on July 26, 2002 8:36:00 AM]
Advertisement
Use the source tag ( [ followed by source followed by ] ) when you post that code, half of what you most likely typed is missing.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
When deriving CBmp from CBasicDraw you''ll need to specify the templated type of var.
In effect, your CBmp class will need to be declared for instance like this:

class CBmp : public CBasicDraw<int> {/* Stuff */};  

(Not actually having access to a compiler on this computer I''m not 100% certain this is the correct answer, but I''m fairly certain as I recently ran into the same problem while coding a generic set of classes for symmetric/assymetric encryption/decryption).

-Neophyte
Neo has it right
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Thanks for the trouble. But with this answer a new question arises. I've designed CBasicDraw in a way it can draw 8, 16, 24-bit pixels. CBmp can load and draw a bitmap of 8, 16 and 24 bits with the help of CBasicDraw. But this wil not work if I have to specify the templated type of var. Also CBmp does not need to be templated because the function itself can determine howmuch bpp the image uses. Can someone help me with this problem?

[edited by - Merwin van Dijk on July 26, 2002 1:28:40 PM]
You''ve got yourself in trouble there

Templates are compile-time only. You have to decide at compile-time what bit depth your draw code handles, if you want to do it any other way, you can''t use templates to do it.
Making CBmp a template class as well should work fine.
For instance:

template <typename var>class CBasicDraw {/*  ...*/};template <typename var>class CBmp : public CBasicDraw<var> {/*  ...*/};  

-Neophyte

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GED d- s:+ a- C++$ UL++ P++ L++ E W+ N+ o K? w !O M--(+) V-- PS+
PE Y+ PGP t-- 5++ X+ R(+) rv+(++) b+++ DI+ D(+) G e+>++ h r--> y+
----- END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
geekcode.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement