Strategy Game Programming with Direct X 9

Started by
65 comments, last by LostLogic 20 years, 1 month ago
** UPDATE ** This book has been released, comments about content will be reviewed for possible tutorials on my website. ------------OLD POST FOLLOWS------------- Hi everyone, I have been working on my next book, Strategy Game Programming with Direct X 9, and am soliciting input for content you would like to see in it if the topic interests you. So far I am covering the following main topics: 1. Game mechanics 2. Game design (as it relates to strategy games) 3. Interface programming 4. Pathing, formations, and flocking 5. Entity and resource management 6. Tile maps (2D & 3D) 7. Tools programming (map editor, unit editor, etc.) 8. Multiplayer support 9. Direct X 9 programming Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks! LostLogic www.lostlogic.com Author, Multiplayer Game Programming Author, Strategy Game Programming with Direct X 9 (Not yet released) [edited by - LostLogic on September 4, 2003 10:31:49 AM]

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Advertisement
My very first suggestion is to leave out the "useless" 300-400
or so pages of YET ANOTHER DirectX introduction. Too many
trees have been killed because of the "Introduction to DirectX"
section found is SO MANY books!

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!
What about:

10. A finished sample game (like Jim Adams did)

Perhaps you could also include some higher-level AI stuff (like decision making) or tell the readers where to do research on this.

By the way, when do you expect the book to be published?
Problems with Windows? Reboot! - Problems with Linux? Be root!
quote:Original post by tangentz
My very first suggestion is to leave out the "useless" 300-400
or so pages of YET ANOTHER DirectX introduction. Too many
trees have been killed because of the "Introduction to DirectX"
section found is SO MANY books!

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!

I agree with you on that one. I am only including the bare minimum of intro text.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming
Author, Strategy Game Programming with Direct X 9 (Not yet released)

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

I agree. I think OpenGL Game Programming was good in that it told you about OpenGL programming, but it still left a lot of it out for you to research on your own.
I hear that some other books in the series also give great introductions to DirectX, include OGP oddly enough, but what I would like to know is, why is DirectX so important that it has to be bundled with a Strategy Game Programming boook?
I think the main topics seem to cover things the way they should be, as two separate things, and so networking/multiplayer is separate from the rest of the theory. I mean, isn''t there already a networking book with DirectX? I mean, it is good that it is so detailed, but what about if I am programming for Linux? DirectX isn''t gonna help too much there. General networking principles should be dealt with in a book about networking/multiplay, but as I understand it, that book was very specific about Direct X.

Game mechanics, interface, AI etc, should be in here, and perhaps the muliplayer code that should be involved as well. I can see using DirectX as the example code, but why be overly specific? Like, using C++ as the example code makes sense, but it doesn''t mean I have to read the code and not be able to port to something else... I guess I could do the same with DirectX, but oh well.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
May I suggest an intro to DirectX 9....i don''t think anyone here knows it...or are you making people learn DX9 on their own? or can we just pick it up from your code? thanks.
Sup guys?
Yeah,

If you are going to be using the new stuff... I forget what it was called... DirectGraphics maybe? Have a simple intro of that and how it correlates with DirectDraw... Many people know DD but I am not sure people know the new stuff. I would probablly buy the book just for that

- Jesse Barksdale
Thanks
Some thing I think should be written in such a book (and some things which should not ;-)).
1. No introduction to C/C++ (but there is no danger of you writing one, is there?)
2. Not too much introduction to DX. It would be better if you could point out the main differences to DX8.
3. Game scripting and mission design i.e. how to programm missions the player has to solve etc.
4. Basic AI (especially for the player`s units so they can atack when getting near an enemy and so on)
5. Perhaps am more general approach to writing an Engine (and not what I would call an "inline game")

And, when will it be released?
(I am very interested in that book and will certainly buy it (if there are enough interesting techniques ;-))).

Im Anfang war die Tat...
Faust
Im Anfang war die Tat...Faust
okay, here''s what i think:

-keep a directx9 intro, not many people know it and your book could be a good reference.

-cover ai with scripting because it can sometimes be a pain to hardcode all ai techniques in the source. plus, it saves space in the executible and allows for ai mods

-make sure you cover a lil bit of 2D rendering in dx9 because many strategy games are still in 2D today and many people still prefer it that way

-cover many ai techniques, because a strategy game depends on that. cover some basic techniques and then cover everything you think would be nescessary to create an advanced ai system.

-if it''s possible, try to put in a small 30- pages of input and sound with directx 9. Maybe only a single chapter worth or less of just reviewing what you need to do to get it up and running. Nothing special but sometimes I''ll need a quick reference book for that stuff, especially in dx9.

-Mention the differences in an appendix or something between dx8 and dx9.

-I also agree with a previous post, create a final game showing what you learned. Readers get a fealing of accomplishment when they see the final demo like in Tricks of the Windows and Role Playing Game Programming wDX.

-Oh yea, one more thing. Don''t tell the reader to look ahead at future demos to see what you will learn later. Role Playing Game Programmign wDX did that and it really discouraged me from finishing the book (although I still did). Don''t tell them not to look ahead either. Just don''t say anything about it.

---
My Site
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org
To answer some of the above questions:

1. I am including information about how DX9 is different from DX8. I am also covering some short intro''s to each API but nothing deforrestating.

2. Scripting and mission design is covered.

3. I am hooking the DX code to the actual game engine part as little as possible. This is to let people with OpenGL get something out of it as well.

4. When? Good question, hopefully by December. I have been working on it since last year but DX9 just went beta not too long ago; hence, the delay.

5. I am including a fully working RTS game example with source code.

Thanks for the comments so far!

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming
Author, Strategy Game Programming with Direct X 9 (Not yet released)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement