Strategy Game Programming with Direct X 9

Started by
65 comments, last by LostLogic 20 years, 1 month ago
A couple of things I would be really interested in. I am using C# but any sample code and tutorials for the following would be great.

1. Typical RTS camera system. There is plenty of source available for FPS style, I would love to see a DirectInput RTS camera class.
2. Windowed selection. In many RTS games, you left click and drag a window to select multiple resources. I am currently half way through with the Wordware book on "3d Math Primer for Gfx and Game Development". I am hoping that I can figure out how to determine what objects (resource units) are within the selection window. Anyone have any sample for this in any language or helpful advice?

Thanks,
Dan
Advertisement
1) Forget about the D3D9 Basics.
2) Write more about the handy stuff (like GUI, editors, and scripting).
3) DONT'T CREATE A CORE AND TELL THE READER TO USE IT!!
4) Shaders would be nice but not necessary.

Something fun would be to put a 'Challenge' in your book.
For example, you come up with a small script, some required features and we can make a small game-scenario(m1s5sp3lLeD?).
The games sent in would then be put on your site (if you have one).
Just an idea, to keep the reader busy even when he finished the book.
Just an idea..

Any case, good luck with writing. I'm sure I'll be buying the book.

.lick

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on September 4, 2003 8:50:37 AM]
hi..

a bit late in the day for my comments, but might as well try

I love strategy games. In an ideal world, it would be my job - games developer for red-alert style strategy games

However, I would refuse to buy your book if it didn''t have a good coverage of strategy AI - everything from basic path finding/flocking (you mentioned you''ve done that tho!) to formation based tactics / combat etc..

I''ve reviewed loads of books like this (www.DirectX4Vb.com/reviews.asp - although no new ones recently), so I like to think I''ve got a reasonable eye for game/programming books...

Graphics/multimedia for an RTS type game aren''t really the meat if you ask me. Sure they''re pretty, but I''d much rather flex my strategy thinking cap against a worthy apponnent..

Jack

PS - I dont mean to sound too harsh, and I wish you the best of luck.

DirectX 4 VB: All you need for multimedia programming in Visual Basic
Formula 1 Championship Manager, My Game Project.

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

LOL!

I just found out, that I''m months too late. And I''ve already posted in this thread =)
Well, I''m going to buy your book soon. Money the greatest issue.

.lick
check out your own forums lostlogic...
@Hippokrates:
>>...in "3D Spieleprogrammierung mit C/C++" by Stefan Zerbst
wenn Du dieses buch gekauft hast, bist Du selbst schuld - es ist allgemeinhin bekannt, dass 1. das buch absoluter schrott ist und 2. der author nicht wirklich übermässig viel von dem versteht, was er erzählt - das geld hättest Du Dir lieber gespart und in ein "richtiges" buch investiert...

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

[edited by - DJSnow on December 7, 2003 9:22:53 AM]
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
Hi Todd,

We are one of the largest publishing companies for the training industry operating out of India.

We are developing a gaming curriculum and course material for one of the US Universities, ''Team Product Development'' being one of the courses in this curriculum. The course material consists of book for the course and associated instructor resources. We are looking for authors for this book. This will be a project that the students will submit at the end of the course.

Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Define the roles of a software engineer in a game development project
- Produce a game product by working in a team
- Work with others to perform peer reviews
- Work according to a schedule
- Complete a project
- Test
- Program
- Perform configuration management
- Perform project management, game programming
- Maintenance programming
- Requirements analysis
- Software design

This is a 36 hrs course with 24 hrs of theory and 12 hrs of lab spread over 9 weeks.

We would be very delighted if you would consider being part of the project and author at least some chapters of the book for us. Please contact me at neelanjanm@niit.com if you are interested.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement