• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Klopper

OpenGL OpenGL + WinXP woes..

This topic is 5864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im having a problem with an OGL application im attempting to run. It crashes when ran, and the line its pointing to is: int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd) { And when I debug it, the error says: "The instruction at "0x77e6163c" refenced memory at "0xcccccccc". The memory could not be "written". Any idea on what might cause this? I will post the rest of the source if needed. thanks [edited by - Klopper on July 26, 2002 3:10:04 PM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
That message sounds like your trying to write to a NULL pointer somehow, post your winmain function.

Here is my WinMain function...

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd)
{
fwndHeight = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN); //Get height of screen resolution

fwndWidth = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN); //Get width of screen resolution

WNDCLASSEX windowClass;

MSG msg;
bool done;
RECT windowRect;
DWORD dwExStyle;
DWORD dwStyle;

LPSYSTEMTIME time; // System time

// Start log with date

FILE *log = fopen("log.txt", "w");

// Get time info and print it

GetSystemTime(time);
fprintf(log, "-My Game Template- Run Log\n\n");
fprintf(log, "Logged: %d:%d %d/%d/%d\n", time->wHour-7, time->wMinute, time->wMonth, time->wDay, time->wYear);

if(MessageBox(NULL, "Would you like to run in fullscreen?", "Display Settings,", MB_YESNO|MB_ICONQUESTION)==IDNO)
{
fullscreen = false;
}

windowRect.left = (long)0;
windowRect.right = (long)fwndWidth;
windowRect.top = (long)0;
windowRect.bottom = (long)fwndHeight;

windowClass.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX);
windowClass.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW | CS_OWNDC;
windowClass.lpfnWndProc = WndProc;
windowClass.cbClsExtra = 0;
windowClass.cbWndExtra = 0;
windowClass.hInstance = hInstance;
windowClass.hIcon = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION);
windowClass.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW);
windowClass.hbrBackground = NULL;
windowClass.lpszMenuName = NULL;
windowClass.lpszClassName = className;
windowClass.hIconSm = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_WINLOGO);

if (!RegisterClassEx(&windowClass))
{
fprintf(log, "\nCreating window... [ FAILED ]");
return 0;
}

fprintf(log, "\nCreating window... [ OK ]");

if(fullscreen)
{
DEVMODE dm; //device mode

memset(&dm, 0, sizeof(dm));
dm.dmSize = sizeof(dm);
dm.dmPelsWidth = fwndWidth;
dm.dmPelsHeight = fwndHeight;
dm.dmBitsPerPel = fwndBits;
dm.dmFields = DM_BITSPERPEL | DM_PELSWIDTH | DM_PELSHEIGHT;

if(ChangeDisplaySettings(&dm, CDS_FULLSCREEN) != DISP_CHANGE_SUCCESSFUL)
{
//switch to windowed mode

MessageBox(NULL,
"The display settings requires 16-bits per pixel.\nCombat Platoon will continue in windowed mode.", "Display Error", MB_OK);
fullscreen = false;
}
}

if(fullscreen)
{
dwExStyle = WS_EX_APPWINDOW;
dwStyle = WS_POPUP; // simple window with no borders or title bar

ShowCursor(FALSE); // hide the cursor for now

}
else
{
dwExStyle = WS_EX_APPWINDOW | WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE;
dwStyle = WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW;
}
AdjustWindowRectEx(&windowRect, dwStyle, FALSE, dwExStyle);

hwnd = CreateWindowEx(dwExStyle,
className,
windowTitle,
dwStyle | WS_CLIPCHILDREN | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS,
0, 0,
windowRect.right - windowRect.left,
windowRect.bottom - windowRect.top,
NULL,
NULL,
hInstance,
NULL);

if (!hwnd)
return 0;

ShowWindow(hwnd, SW_SHOW);
UpdateWindow(hwnd);

done = false;

fclose(log); // Close our log

while (!done)
{
PeekMessage(&msg, hwnd, NULL, NULL, PM_REMOVE);

if (msg.message == WM_QUIT)
{
done = true;
engine.CleanUp();
}
else
{
// Draw our game

engine.RenderScene();

SwapBuffers(g_HDC);
TranslateMessage(&msg);
DispatchMessage(&msg);
}
}

if(fullscreen)
{
ChangeDisplaySettings(NULL, 0); //switch back to desktop

ShowCursor(TRUE);
}

return msg.wParam;
}

[edited by - klopper on July 27, 2002 3:10:57 AM]

[edited by - klopper on July 27, 2002 3:12:43 AM]

It looks like GetSystemTime is your culprit. You are passing it a pointer to unallocated space. Try this:

SYSTEMTIME time;
GetSystemTime(&time);

This should fix it.

quote:
Original post by strtok
It looks like GetSystemTime is your culprit. You are passing it a pointer to unallocated space. Try this:

SYSTEMTIME time;
GetSystemTime(&time);

This should fix it.

I get this error when I run that..

c:\documents and settings\zach\desktop\projects\2dogl\main.cpp(100) : error C2664: 'GetSystemTime' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'struct _SYSTEMTIME ** ' to 'struct _SYSTEMTIME *'

UPDATE: When I comment those lines out, it compiles and runs fine. Any idea on how I can get the system time?

[edited by - Klopper on July 27, 2002 3:24:31 PM]

quote:
Original post by Klopper
[quote]Original post by strtok

SYSTEMTIME time;
GetSystemTime(&time);

This should fix it.

I get this error when I run that..

c:\documents and settings\zach\desktop\projects\2dogl\main.cpp(100) : error C2664: ''GetSystemTime'' : cannot convert parameter 1 from ''struct _SYSTEMTIME ** '' to ''struct _SYSTEMTIME *''

UPDATE: When I comment those lines out, it compiles and runs fine. Any idea on how I can get the system time?

[edited by - Klopper on July 27, 2002 3:24:31 PM]

GetSystemTime (time) ....

Metal Typhoon

Make sure you''re not defining time as a pointer.
i.e. don''t define it like this
LPSYSTEMTIME time;
or
SYSTEMTIME time;

Instead you must define it like this

SYSTEMTIME time;

and then when you pass it to GetSystemTime you must pass the address of time, &time. So like this

GetSystemTime(&time);

GetSystemTime takes a pointer to a SYSTEMTIME structure, but if you simply define time as a pointer, it won''t be pointing to a SYSTEMTIME struct.

I think that should solve all your troubles.

Ian Halliday yo
PWEENED

quote:
Original post by Billymon
Make sure you''re not defining time as a pointer.

SYSTEMTIME time;

and then when you pass it to GetSystemTime you must pass the address of time, &time. So like this

GetSystemTime(&time);

GetSystemTime takes a pointer to a SYSTEMTIME structure, but if you simply define time as a pointer, it won''t be pointing to a SYSTEMTIME struct.

When I use what you said, I get about 10 errors:

c:\documents and settings\zach\desktop\projects\2dogl\main.cpp(102) : error C2819: type ''_SYSTEMTIME'' does not have an overloaded member ''operator ->''
d:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winbase.h(249) : see declaration of ''_SYSTEMTIME''
c:\documents and settings\zach\desktop\projects\2dogl\main.cpp(102) : error C2227: left of ''->wHour'' must point to class/struct/union
c:\documents and settings\zach\desktop\projects\2dogl\main.cpp(102) : error C2819: type ''_SYSTEMTIME'' does not have an overloaded member ''operator ->''
d:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winbase.h(249) : see declaration of ''_SYSTEMTIME''
c:\documents and settings\zach\desktop\projects\2dogl\main.cpp(102) : error C2227: left of ''->wMinute'' must point to class/struct/union
c:\documents and settings\zach\desktop\projects\2dogl\main.cpp(102) : error C2227: left of ''->wMonth'' must point to class/struct/union
c:\documents and settings\zach\desktop\projects\2dogl\main.cpp(102) : error C2227: left of ''->wDay'' must point to class/struct/union
c:\documents and settings\zach\desktop\projects\2dogl\main.cpp(102) : error C2227: left of ''->wYear'' must point to class/struct/union

ah, heh. Those errors are because you were originally writing your program with time as a pointer, but now you''ve changed it to a normal object.

To access members of a pointer, you need to use the -> (arrow) operator, as you''ve obviously done in your program.

To access members of a normal object, you use the . (dot) operator. So simply change all your time-> to time.

ptr->member is equivalent to (*ptr).member, -> is just shorthand

here''s an article on pointers if you''d like to learn more about them
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1697.asp

I hope this time i''ve solved all your problems

Ian Halliday yo
PWEENED

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!