Hello!!!!!!!

Started by
7 comments, last by virus3355 21 years, 8 months ago
Well I finally took the time to register! Anywayz... I registered because i have a question. I am looking for tutorials specificlly for ''Game programming''. Please post links to sites or (e)books that contain tutorials of the ''Game Programming'' subject! I am currently reading the ebook ''Teach yourself C++ in 21 days'' after i finish this book, i would like to move on to the tutorials provided by this site and other sites that you may post! Thank You for reading this post and helping a fellow n00b! -Peace-
Advertisement
Um, gamedev.net... See above where it says "Articles & Resources", trying clicking on it, you might find something there.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Try the ''Hosted Sites'' section here on GameDev. My favorites are NeHe and Cone3D.

[N]
isn''t... that... what... this entire site... is about... if its not... umm... ya...
PaladinGLT
lol ... thats about all I can say ...
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I''d suggest Donald Knuth "The Art Of Computer Programming": wherever you see program/application/executable, replace it with game.

Afterwards, try "Compilers: Principles, Practice, and Techniques": replace source code or input with scripting language, replace output/machine code/executable with ready-to-run mod.

Then if you''re starting to get involved with AI, perhaps "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach". No replacement necessary, Peter Norvig et al. already cover many game related techniques.

Should give you a decent start, after you''ve read these, go read all the rest of the books.
Damn... sorry, I forgot to have a point: go learn what interests you and may possibly apply to a game you''d like to make. No one tutorial will cover everything someone needs to know to code a game. Learn what you need to make something simple that has one or two aspects that interest you (simple graphics, basic pathfinding, primitive natural language recognition, in game scripting, etc.), then run with it. ie.: If you''re interested in how you could make a decent adventure/RPG a la King''s Quest, try to learn a little about graphics. Don''t spend months and months learning all the newest techniques, but get a bit of background down so you can draw the screen with all the objects placed properly. Learn a little about input routines and natural language parsing, see if you can duplicate the early Sierra adventures'' parsers. Maybe expand into a bit more NPC interaction with some more recent AI techniques? Some scripting may come in handy for controlling the NPCs without having to explicitly write VB/C++/C/Delphi/etc. code?
[crap post]

[edited by - michalson on July 27, 2002 8:11:37 AM]
Well I was looking for tutorials on OTHER sites..

Thanks. =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement