Processing monsterous books

Started by
6 comments, last by Paladin__ 21 years, 8 months ago
Ok, basically, I''ve been going thru Jim Adams monster-- Programming RPGs with DirectX. I really like the book, but it''s huge, which leads me to my question: How do YOU process books that are this big? Do you read the book, go back and try to manipulate examples on topics that concern you? Do you spend some time on each chapter and write custom code for each chapter, or do you just run the examples and move on? Do you just use the book reference style? Basically, I''ve been taking my time and going thru each chapter, but I really want to get done with this book. I''m on chapter 12 out of 20 with about 450 pages left (ouch). Just curious as to how others go thru big books.
Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.
Advertisement
I sit down on a counch, and read the book one end to the other. Not computer in reach. I''ll read through the examples, see if I understand them, then move on.

Then, once I did that, I''ll use the book as a reference, and think up a "demo" program to create. I''ll more or less have an idea on how to do it. As I program it, I''ll end up with questions and things that don''t work. Then I''ll refer to the book, build a few of the test programs, and mess around until my own thing works.

-- First post error... sigh... --
I dont have the attention span to sit down and read a book cover to cover, so usually i just digest a chapter at a time and after each one i write some code to try out stuff i''ve never seen before. I use books mostly for reference.
I''m like PouyaCat, read the book over (not necessarily in one sitting of course), learn where things are when I need to find them, then just go back to programming whatever crazy idea I have at the moment.
Worked nicely so far, you progress naturally. Instead of showing things in your head you learn them as you need them, then can use them afterwards.

------------
aud.vze.com - The Audacious Engine <-- It''s not much, yet. But it''s mine... my own... my preciousssss...
MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
I havent bought a book yet but I would do it like Sark.
Read a chapter and do some code, read a chapter do some code, read a chapter do some code..........
I do read ebooks, the same way of course.
I''ve been trying it Sark''s way, but the problem I have is that I don''t have a use for it at the time and seem to forget it later, or I get stuck on an issue for a few days to a week, and I feel like I''m not getting anywhere in the book.

i.e, The DirectPlay chapters are great, but I''m not focusing on networked games right now (although everyone and their mother probably is trying to write the next EQ), so even after I do it, I tend to forget over time since I''m not using it.

I guess that''s true in most cases for either of the mentioned approaches. I''ll forget when I go back too, but I think it would have more relevance as it is applicable to what I''m doing. I may try PouyaCat''s way just to see. It''s taken me two months to get to chapter 12 in the RPG book due to time, programming demos, and testing. I think I''ll step away from the puter and finish this monster.

Any other ideas?

Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.
Typically I try to focus on specefic topics ala chapters. Once I have read one through, I usually write something using what I''ve learned. Although sometimes for typical "refresher" like books I will read large chunks of it through, and later use them as references.
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org
I tend to:

1) read one section at a time then try and edit some of the sample code until i understand what its doing COMPLETELY

2) read cover to cover then go back and do #1

tazzel3d ~ dwiel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement