• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cahaan

Your most "legendary" games

136 posts in this topic

I definately forgot: Resident Evil

and thanks cahaan, yeah, speedball2, hehe,
it really rocked

It is now for sure you can throw away your computer

[edited by - UnshavenBastard on August 6, 2002 11:22:04 PM]

There''s an awful lot of adventure games on people''s lists. Why are there no good NEW adventure games? I guess they don''t sell as many graphics cards...

quote:
Original post by parla
There''s an awful lot of adventure games on people''s lists. Why are there no good NEW adventure games? I guess they don''t sell as many graphics cards...

I would bet your assumptions are true

quote:
Original post by Carrot
There was an earlier RPG on the old 8-bits called ''Bard''s Tale''. This has to be one of the fore-runners to the modern RPG...

quote:
Original post by Kylotan
The Bard''s Tale was the first game I ever completed, and has been very influential on my life since then. I am currently half-way through Bards Tale 2 - better late than never.

I bought the original Bard''s tale on C64 on cassette when I was about 10. I just remember sitting up all night watching my brother play it (the bastard). Those were the days... I also went back and played BT2 it all the way through a year or so ago. Great game. Shame about Bard''s Tale III though - it''s nowhere near as good as the first two, graphically or otherwise.

Someone mentioned ultima5 on the Amiga, and I''d have to agree. I played that for longer than I''d care to mention, though I never completed it. The theme music was great, if slightly repetitive.

Elite also, especially the C64 version with its extra missions.

Modern games just aren''t as fun anymore. I must be getting old. I found Half life pretty average, despite rave reviews from just about everyone. System Shock 2 was great on cooperative, but the annoying respawning and crappy combat system ruined it for me.

Thief was fun, I guess.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert was a lot of fun on singleplayer and especially multiplayer, though I''ve yet to find anyone who can beat me (I''m not great, but the people I know are really crap).

Hmmm... I'll list the games that owe me much of my childhood. As an adult I don't have time anymore to waste on games, unfortunately. So, even though some newer games are absolutely fantastic, I can't list them because I've never given them the time to become memorable or "legendary".

Arcade:
Pac-man
Spy Hunter
S.T.U.N. Runner

Atari 2600 (I'm THAT old):
Missile Command
Asteroids

Apple //c:
Tass Times in Tone Town (yes, it's a guilty pleasure)
Elite (all time favorite game)
Might & Magic I, II & III
Wizard's Crown
Bard's Tale III (even though it sucked)

NES:
Metroid!!! WOOHOO!!!
Super Mario I & III (especially III)

PC:
Battletech
Lightspeed
Their Finest Hour
Wolfenstein (the 1st in level editing made it worth listing)
Lemmings
X-Wing
Commanche (the voxel terrain just blew me away)
Delta Force (even better voxel terrain)
Warcraft I & II
Doom I & II
Descent
Mechwarrior II
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (had the steering wheel and everything)
Half-life (Oh, such LAN parties did we have)

I'm adding up the time spent on games on my calculator... OH MY GOD... there's probably about 3000 hours of gameplay here! That's about two percent of my awakened life. Of course, that's nothing compared to an Evercrack addict =b hehehehe

- Jay

"I have head-explody!!!" - NNY

Get Tranced!

[edited by - coderx75 on August 8, 2002 3:50:12 PM]

Oh gosh, there are a lot of games I believe are to best I''ve ever played =)

PC:
Space Quest 4 & 6 - These games are *sooo* damn funny
Full Throttle - Very memorable, these characters will be with me forever =)
Diablo 1 & 2 - I can''t fathom the number of whole days spent playing this game
Half-Life - AWSOME ground breaking gameplay and incredible story
Command & Conquer - Just a hell of a lot of fun lol

-Playstation:
Metal Gear Solid - By far my favorite game ever produced in the history of games. The best story line I''ve ever had the pleasure of expiriencing and gameplay to beat all gameplay. I''ll remember snake and maryl ''til I''m old and grey lol Unfortunatly I havn''t had the opportunity to play the sequel but I''m sure its well worth the money

-NES:
Mario Bros 1 & 3 - I don''t really remember number 2, I think that one was the obscured one becuase they made 1 and 3 for NES and 2 for SNES, go figure, nintendo is an odd company.

Mindgamez Entertainment

quote:
Original post by neurokaotix
Mario Bros 1 & 3 - I don''t really remember number 2, I think that one was the obscured one becuase they made 1 and 3 for NES and 2 for SNES, go figure, nintendo is an odd company.

Super Mario Brothers 2 was on the NES but it sucked. If ya haven''t played it you''re not missing much.

...and I forgot to mention Full Throttle! =) I wish real motorcycles looked like that!

...and I guess I should mention Diablo II for all the time I''ve spent playin'' it in LAN games.

- Jay

"I have head-explody!!!" - NNY

Get Tranced!

Championship Manager, oh how many hours of my life have been stolen by this game. "Just one more match and then I''ll stop." Yeah right.

I just reinstalled Police Quest 4 !! God this game rocks !

Abandonware rules !!!!!!!!

In order of best game until

CARRIER COMMAND // I STILL play it... chasing the red carrier for hours at 120 mph...
Daggerfall
Warcraft //original
Starcraft // balancing very good
Total Anniliation
Warcraft III

quote:
Original post by Enigma1625
Just to let you know, using the term PSX when reffering to the playstation is in no way correct. "PSX" was simply one of the early codenames for the PS. Yes I know, many retailers still use the term, but it bugs me everytime I see it, so there ya go.

It bugs me everytime I see PS or PS1, so there you go.
It was PSX when I bought it in 1995?, seven years ago, so there's no reason to change it.

Twisted Metal 1,2,3,4, and Black, haven't played Small Brawl
Einhander
U.N. Squadron
R-Types Delta
Wipeout 1, XL, 3, and Fusion
Omega Boost
Super Mario 3
Metroid(on the Gameboy)
Kirby's Adventure(Gameboy)
Super Mario Land(Gameboy)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Galaga Destination Earth
Devil May Cry
Strikers 1945

Edit, forgot to include:
that Legend of Zelda game on the SNES

[edited by - RolandofGilead on August 12, 2002 11:22:20 AM]

I''d say that the most legendary game that come to my mind has to be ''Legend of Zelda''...

It even has the word ''Legend'' on it''s name...

--
Jose Manuel Guerra
jmguerra@guerragames.com
GuerraGames

FinalFantasy 5
FF6
FF7
FF8
FF9
FF Tactics
worms 2
worms world party
bust-a-move series
mario rpg
paper mario
super mario 64
super smash brothers
super smash brothers melee
starfox 64
mario party
mario party 2
mario party 3
super mario brothers
super mario brothers-the lost levels
super mario world 2
super mario brothers 3
mario brothers(arcade)
JK2 Jedi outcast
Rouge squadron 3d
Rouge squadron rouge leader
x-wing alliance
tetris
doctor mario
docter mario 64
earthworm jim
sonic the hedgehog
sonic the hedgehog 2
sonic the hedgehog 3
sonic and knuckles
sonic cd (never works anymore)
sonic adventure
sonic adventure 2
sonic advance
all kirby games
tetris
tetrishere
all other versions of tetris

every multiplayer game everywhere

- Half-Life
- Deus Ex
- Max Payne
- AVP2
- BattleZone
- DungeonKeeper
- DungeonMaster

I hate to say it but my most inspirational game came out only a few weeks ago

Neverwinter night has more power in its engine, depth, and representation with the knowledge it was given to work on that it very well may be the best game ever.

There are many others but NWN just stands out =)

quote:
Original post by javaguerra
I''d say that the most legendary game that come to my mind has to be ''Legend of Zelda''...

Legend of Zelda = The Bible!

Other games:
WarCraftIII
Legend of Zelda
WarCraft II
Dune 2
Starcraft

Legend of Zelda

Day of the Tentacle
Legend of Zelda
Sam and Max: Hit the road
Monkyisland 3&2 ( NOT 4 ) ( sp : sry ! )
The Longest Jurny

Legend of Zelda

Unreal Series ( U, UT + more as they comes )
Quake 1&2

Legend of Zelda

Baldurs Gate 1 + Tales of the sword cost
Legend of Zelda
Baldurs Gate 2
Never Winter Nights
Legend of Zelda

and yes the Legend Of Zelda ....

all of the old lucas arts games are incredible

full throttle
the dig
day of the tentacle
sam and max hit the road

there are a TON and they are all great games
and if you can solve them without ANY help, you are a GENIUS.

also,

caesar III

is very good...