Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maneesh

Game Programming for Kids

Hey everyone, I am currently writing a book on game programming for kids. It uses Blitz Basic (a simpilified game programming compiler). I was wondering if any of you would be interested in purchasing the book, either for your children or for yourselves? Thanks -Maneesh

Sorry, I''m not interested in actually purchasing your book, not being a kid myself. I do however have a suggestion (which you might already have thought of): the kind of kids who would be interested in programming would also be the kind of kids who, although starting simple, would want to be able to work into the bigger stuff like VB and C/C++ sooner. Just a thought.

Twilight Dragon
Win32 API Programmer
www.freewebz.com/j-world

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, I was thinking that the BASIC code would be a first step into C/C++. Also, the book won''t only work for kids; I''m very sure that any beginning programmer would be able to use and enjoy the book.

The only problem for older programmers is that the books might move more slowly than they want, but I am sure some new programmers want to move slow!

Thanks for you input

-Maneesh

Well, I was thinking that the BASIC code would be a first step into C/C++. Also, the book won''t only work for kids; I''m very sure that any beginning programmer would be able to use and enjoy the book.

The only problem for older programmers is that the books might move more slowly than they want, but I am sure some new programmers want to move slow!

Thanks for you input

-Maneesh

Well I think it might be a good start.
Who of us hasn`t tried more than one language?
And it will certainly increase motivation to get something done (because of using BB).
I am learning C++ for years now and have not done a single game (not even pong ) so it could be a good idea to have the kids accomplish something.
Personally I will not buy the book because I did not learn C++ for years to change to BB now ;-).

Im Anfang war die Tat...
Faust

I think that is an excellent idea. I personally wouldn''t buy it now, but if a book like that had existed when I was 12 I would have been all over it

yah. brilliant.

The only reason I got into programming was because of a program called klik and play when I was young (back in the days of win 3.1 ).. if it wern''t for that gem of a program, I''d probablly have become an politition or something. Thank god that didn''t happen.

I obviously wouldn''t buy the book, though.

Just make sure that you can actually do stuff with only the book though. A book is expensive enough for a uni student like me, let alone a young child (well, their parents )... They don''t want to have to buy other things too...

about six months ago, 1 month after i got 13, i discovered (for my self ofcourse) programming to make games, i started with the best language, c++ .
Now I already program DirectX. hmmmmm, kids arent dumb-asses you know?

yeah, not ALL of ''em are, but there are still obviously some out there ... :D

I think the book is a great idea. Basic is so much easier to program in that C++, so it''d be great to see a book on the market that is written with Blitz Basic for kids. As long as you do as Ronin Magus sugested, use the tutorials to create something genuinely interactive for the kids, I think it''d be great!

Well, i also started game programming early, when I was 12, and I learned DX quickly. But I am sure I wouldve been much happier if i had learned BASIC first, if only to give me an into to c++ and to make it easier and faster for me to see something on the screen.

-Maneesh

While kids aren''t "dumbasses", i think a book like that would be appreciated by many. For one, not everyone would be motivated enough to learn all the intricasies of C/C++, then start graphics programming. Just look at all the posts here with ppl barely knowing what C++ is and wanting to make the next EQ. i think such a book would get their interest piqued by using the ''instant gratification'' technique, enough to pursue game programming more so than spending 6 months to a year learning C++ well enough to start making games.
Now i know ppl will say they didn''t spend that much time learning C++ (they should have), but these are not the norm. A book like this, i believe, would sell really well. Heck, i might even pick up a copy.