Game Programming for Kids

Started by
14 comments, last by maneesh 21 years, 8 months ago
yeah, not ALL of ''em are, but there are still obviously some out there ... :D

I think the book is a great idea. Basic is so much easier to program in that C++, so it''d be great to see a book on the market that is written with Blitz Basic for kids. As long as you do as Ronin Magus sugested, use the tutorials to create something genuinely interactive for the kids, I think it''d be great!
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Advertisement
im still a kid (14) but i''ve been programming for several years now. I wish i had a book like that back then
those were the days... lol
//att
Interesting idea.But it is possible for a kid to learn C++.I did.
And so, the evil religion thread stole the wonderful "What the Heck?" thread's throne. Truly a sad day for gamedev.
Interesting idea.But it is possible for a kid to learn C++.I did.

The sausages are coming

And so, the evil religion thread stole the wonderful "What the Heck?" thread's throne. Truly a sad day for gamedev.
Well, i also started game programming early, when I was 12, and I learned DX quickly. But I am sure I wouldve been much happier if i had learned BASIC first, if only to give me an into to c++ and to make it easier and faster for me to see something on the screen.

-Maneesh
While kids aren''t "dumbasses", i think a book like that would be appreciated by many. For one, not everyone would be motivated enough to learn all the intricasies of C/C++, then start graphics programming. Just look at all the posts here with ppl barely knowing what C++ is and wanting to make the next EQ. i think such a book would get their interest piqued by using the ''instant gratification'' technique, enough to pursue game programming more so than spending 6 months to a year learning C++ well enough to start making games.
Now i know ppl will say they didn''t spend that much time learning C++ (they should have), but these are not the norm. A book like this, i believe, would sell really well. Heck, i might even pick up a copy.
Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement