Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradDaBug

What's wrong?

I have a dll creating some data using malloc(). I pass a pointer to the data to another program. Then later the other program calls free() on it. The problem is, it crashes. Why? It''s really simple code, and I don''t know why it could be crashing. Also, the pointer is a char*. When I tell my other program to print the data, it prints it fine, but then there''s some garbage at the end. Any ideas?? Thoughts?

The infamous "other program":

CFile *fp = OpenArchive("woo.txt");

char *p = GetDataFromArchive("woo.txt", fp);

printf("file = %s", p);

free(p);

//Close archive

CloseArchive(fp);

And the DLL code for GetDataFromArchive():

char *GetDataFromArchive(char *filename, CFile *file)
{
//Check our parameters

if ((filename == NULL) || (file == NULL))
return(NULL);

//Check and see if our CFile points to an open file

if (file->fp == NULL)
return(NULL);

//Copy the file to memory

char *p = NULL;

p = (char*)malloc(GetFilesize(file->Filename));
rewind(file->fp);
fread(p, GetFilesize(file->Filename), 1, file->fp);
return(p);
}

And in case anyone's curious, GetFilesize():

int GetFilesize(char *filename)
{
int Size = 0;

FILE *fp = fopen(filename, "rb");
if (fp == NULL)
return(-1);

fseek(fp, 0, SEEK_END);
Size = ftell(fp);

fclose(fp);
return(Size);
}

[edited by - BradDaBug on July 27, 2002 1:56:37 PM]

Are you sure that the program is crashing when free() is called, because I think it could actually be the FILE* in CFile, because in my experience any attempt to use a FILE* that was not created by the file that is being executed now (example : fopen in exe, currently in dll) will cause a access violation or something similar. Just a thought.

After doing away with the GetDataFromArchive() function and replacing it with a ReadFromArchive() that doesn''t allocate the memory, but instead takes a pointer to already allocated memory, it doesn''t crash anymore.

At first I figured I could easily get back a pointer to data that was created in the DLL, since DirectX does it all the time, but apparently if I try to free() it, bad things happen. I thought about putting a function in the DLL to free the created memory, but I decided I''d rather do the memory stuff myself, since I can then allocate memory once and reuse it many times.