Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Star

Quantum Computing and QuBits

Hey all, I know this is not really the place for it, but I could not find anywhere else to ask about quantum computing... does anyone know about it well, or anything about it.. I know about it abit but cant get my head around QuBits and QuBytes if a qubit can be in superposition i.e a bit being a 0 and a 1 and the same time... and therefore a qubyte being 8 qubits all representing 0 and 1 at the same time... meaning that a Qubyte can represent all the numbers 0 to 255 at the same time and any calculations performed on that Qubyte is doing on all numbers... how is it that a value can be read from a qubyte to know its actual value when it is capable of being all values from 0 to 255 at the same time. In other word what is its actual value if it olds 256 possible numbers? The applications of Quantum computing seem stunning using shorter bytes to represent more data and having a vast increase in computational power but how do u use or address all values in quantum bytes.. I know the maths is already a very complicated peice of thinking but how can u get data from a QuByte... if the qubyte read the number ''4'' how is that 4 extracted and how are other numbers extracted such as a 254 and an 8. Also I have read that qubytes can represent all the numbers from 0 to 255 at the same time but when it''s read only one number is outputed... so what''s the point of having such a ''massive'' byte if only one value can be extracted. Very Confused DarkStar UK

I have no idea...I''ve been wondering that myself. Most of the articles I''ve read sounded like the author didn''t really understand how it worked either (of course I haven''t read any actual doctoral publications; I would hope THEY would understand how quantum computing works, but the articles I''ve read have been light scientific reading meant for the general public.)

Acording to quantum therory something(say a qubyte) is in every possible state till something observes it(like a photon hitting it). This is how a qubit can be every possible value then you read it off and it turns into one value. At least I think that''s how it works

The point of this is that by being clever you can make a quantum computer do all the calculations at the same time instead of one after another. How this actually works I have no idea

The bits and bytes are only in a superposition state when you *start* the calculations, they collapse into a single state as the result of checking the results.
Or alternatively, the universe splits into so many different universes, with your computer solving the problem with one given input in each distinct universe.

The advantage of having the byte capable of "holding" 256 different values "simultaneously", is that checking each of the 256 different values for numbers that satisfy certain criteria takes only as long as checking any *one* of the possible values, rather than 256 times the time it takes to check on possibility. The implications for this is staggering, especially in the field of cryptology/cryptanalysis. A normal computer capable of checking 1 million DES-keys each second would take approximately 1000 years to crack a given message encrypted with DES. On the other hand, there''s been written a program for a quantum computer that can do the same in less than 4 minutes...

-Neophyte