Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ninj4D4n

Starting out with DirectX 8 / 8.1

Hi all, I''m very very new to the whole DirectX programming scene, and am having a whole lot of trouble getting started with it. I''ve read several books on the topic of DirectX, but have never been able to get any of the provided sample code compiled under the specified SDK. Currently I''m working out of "Beggining Direct3D Game Programming" and experiencing the same exactly problems. 1) The SDK never installs the same way that tutorial says it will. 2) Certain D3D files can not be found. 3) The code will not compile. If anyone has any help, suggestions, links, or anything that shows a highly detailed step by step procedure to setting up a simple program using DirectX 8/8.1 i would very much appreciate it. Thanks, Ninj4D4n

First off, install the DirectX 8.1 SDK to C:\DXSDK then when that is done go into Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 (if that is what you''re using, I''m simply assuming you are) and go up top to the menus and go to Tools -> Options. Click on the Directories tab and where is says "Show directories for:" change it to Include files and add the directory C:\DXSDK\INCLUDE (I also added C:\DXSDK\samples\Multimedia\Common\include just in case). Then switch the "Show directories for:" item to Library files and add C:\DXSDK\lib to the list. Press OK and kablammo, you''re done! Now, if your code is bug free, it will compile

neurokaotix,
thanks for that help, but that part i had figured out. I guess there might be problems with the code from the book then.

Will code written under the DX8 SDK compile on the DX8.1 SDK error free?