• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheTheory

Text to Sound Translations

This topic is 5711 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible for a game engine to recognize words and then translate it to sound? Like if a player inputs a codename at the start of a military game. Then when they''re being given orders, like "Listen up "Codename", your mission is to, etc." would the game be able to pronounce (as a word, not letters) that unique codename. You know, like those programs on computers where you type stuff in and the computer reads it. Is that possible? ''Cause I think it would be hella cool for a game I''m currently juggling around in my head.

Advertisement
hehe, all software I ever heard reading a text
sounded...well, funny, but definately _not_ cool
I''m not sure if there is any that sounds convincing enough
for what you want to do, and beyond this, is fast enough for use in a game.

Maybe it''s possible, however, you have to consider
if the effort to achieve this is really worth it,
just to get a half second of speech for the whole game.

It is now for sure you can throw away your computer

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Speech_Technology/Speech_Synthesis/

Start hunting, boy! :D

The AT&T one is the best. I also found a program with several presets (Man, old man, woman, strong woman, geek, etc), including the AYBABTU voice. ^_^

Hi,

SA-Magic, where did you find that app that gave you the option for geek, strong women etc? I lost that app aboput a year ago and have been looking to download it again but I cannot find it anywhere and forget what it''s name was.

Thanks
Joe

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!