Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mman

Is there a program to slow down your computer?

Hi, I was just wondering if there is such a program to slow down your CPU speed so you could simulate a 200Mhz System on an 800mhz computer? This would be very useful for determining the minimum system requirements for a computer game. Thank you! (Not sure if this is the right forum for this question)

MoSlow might be what you are looking for (I don't have a recommended link, plug it into google, its freeware and many sites have it).

[edited by - michalson on July 27, 2002 5:12:36 PM]

This thread would probably be better in the Game Programming section, but I''m no moderator, so I can''t move it.

Well, you could use Sleep(), and I think the argument is the milliseconds to sleep. There''s probably some equation that will let you slow the system down a number of megahertz with this, but I don''t know it.

.elendil67

If you have an AMD processor you could underclock it through the BIOS (if your BIOS allows you to change the clock multiplier). Obviously there are dangers with overclocking, but I don''t know if anything can go wrong with underclocking.

Proceeding on a brutal rampage is the obvious choice.

Hey program to slow down your computer? I have one! It fills 64 MB of your ram and sometimes if you close it it stays open in the task manager, very annoying and your computer becomes slow, believe me

quote:
Original post by RobTheBloke
Lol! To bad I have Windows 98

Just a sidenote: if you have a moderately fast computer (>1GHz), the M$ guys have built a wonderful feature into WMP, multiple instances.

You could also try gnawing on your RAM chips. A rabbit once chewed his fill on my 32Mb RAM chip and managed to slow down the computer considerably (32Mb was a great deal of memory back then). Unfortunately it also ceased functioning after some 2-3 minutes.

Crispy

Guest Anonymous Poster
I could be wrong, but I believe that Mo''Slo is NOT freeware, and the evaluation version doesn''t work on processors >700 MHz, and only allows you to slow down your processor to integer percentages of its speed. See here : http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

I can''t remember the name of it, but I used another program for Windows once which basically set itself to a high priority and then just sat there eating CPU cycles... it slowed down all of Windows, but it was quite effective, and it was free. If anyone wants me to, I''ll see if I can track it down again.

Try running MPEG encoding software in the background... and set it''s priority to suit your needs i.e Below Normal, Normal, Above Normal, High.. etc.

If you are really testing the minimum CPU speed. Try not to ''reduce'' your RAM. I think that isn''t right.

quote:
Original post by Mulligan
Now where can i find a program to make my computer faster?

Software that modifies the CMOS data, which indirectly modifies the bus-speed - CPU overclocking.
Utilities that change the your GPU clock and video memory rate.

heh, i did this once to get around the annoying pascal bug that stops certain programs to run on anything over 200mhz. I made a program that sits in the background doing heavy calculations in a tight loop and also reading and writing to the HDD. then I put the thread priority right up. It sure made things slow .

quote:
Original post by cow_in_the_well
heh, i did this once to get around the annoying pascal bug that stops certain programs to run on anything over 200mhz. I made a program that sits in the background doing heavy calculations in a tight loop and also reading and writing to the HDD. then I put the thread priority right up. It sure made things slow .

Go to Borland''s website, they have a link to the (unsupported) patch for the 200mhz bug. The problem is in the initialization of the CRT unit. One of the things it does is time a certain operation to get a delay value. On machines over ~200mhz the time taken is 0ms (less than 1 ms), which when used in another operation causes the division by 0 error.