Is there a program to slow down your computer?

Started by
16 comments, last by Mman 21 years, 8 months ago
quote:Original post by RobTheBloke
Lol! To bad I have Windows 98

Just a sidenote: if you have a moderately fast computer (>1GHz), the M$ guys have built a wonderful feature into WMP, multiple instances.

You could also try gnawing on your RAM chips. A rabbit once chewed his fill on my 32Mb RAM chip and managed to slow down the computer considerably (32Mb was a great deal of memory back then). Unfortunately it also ceased functioning after some 2-3 minutes.

Crispy
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Advertisement
I could be wrong, but I believe that Mo''Slo is NOT freeware, and the evaluation version doesn''t work on processors >700 MHz, and only allows you to slow down your processor to integer percentages of its speed. See here : http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

I can''t remember the name of it, but I used another program for Windows once which basically set itself to a high priority and then just sat there eating CPU cycles... it slowed down all of Windows, but it was quite effective, and it was free. If anyone wants me to, I''ll see if I can track it down again.
Try running MPEG encoding software in the background... and set it''s priority to suit your needs i.e Below Normal, Normal, Above Normal, High.. etc.

If you are really testing the minimum CPU speed. Try not to ''reduce'' your RAM. I think that isn''t right.
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
Now where can i find a program to make my computer faster?
quote:Original post by Mulligan
Now where can i find a program to make my computer faster?

Software that modifies the CMOS data, which indirectly modifies the bus-speed - CPU overclocking.
Utilities that change the your GPU clock and video memory rate.
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
heh, i did this once to get around the annoying pascal bug that stops certain programs to run on anything over 200mhz. I made a program that sits in the background doing heavy calculations in a tight loop and also reading and writing to the HDD. then I put the thread priority right up. It sure made things slow .

- Thomas Cowellwebsite | journal | engine video

quote:Original post by cow_in_the_well
heh, i did this once to get around the annoying pascal bug that stops certain programs to run on anything over 200mhz. I made a program that sits in the background doing heavy calculations in a tight loop and also reading and writing to the HDD. then I put the thread priority right up. It sure made things slow .

Go to Borland''s website, they have a link to the (unsupported) patch for the 200mhz bug. The problem is in the initialization of the CRT unit. One of the things it does is time a certain operation to get a delay value. On machines over ~200mhz the time taken is 0ms (less than 1 ms), which when used in another operation causes the division by 0 error.
Other alternatives to Mo'Slo are:

Bremze

CPU Killer

Turbo

and here is a site that lists a couple others as well as the above.

[edited by - Xorcist on August 1, 2002 7:01:13 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement