Ideas for an RTS

Started by
10 comments, last by Magriep 21 years, 8 months ago
I''ve always enjoyed RTS and I would eventually like to develop one, but I lack the programming knowledge. But I did realize I could start now with a Design Doc. Since I''m not the creative type, I''m asking th community for input/ideas. I personally enjoy non-fiction RTS, but I also enjoy fantasy RTS such as WC3.
Advertisement
So...you plan on making a game, but you don''t know how to program and aren''t creative. That sounds like a bad combination. Maybe I''m just being cynical.

"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't."Just3DJustin NordinJ Squared Productionswww.jsquaredproductions.com
Well I''m somewhat creative, but I can''t come up with a whole RTS story. I like to brainstorm and bounce ideas off of other people, which is why I wanted to hear ideas from this community.

On another note: I have some programming knowledge, but like I said before not enough to program a game such as an RTS. Well what would you expect from a person who just started programming a few months ago, but have been a gamer for a long time.

So I would appreciate your ideas/feedback on what would make a good RTS.
Here''s an idea: Your the ruler of Rome, the whole empire is at your command. You are the next Ceasar. Will Rome survive under your command or crumble to the ground?

What do you guys think of that idea? I would like input before brainstorming details.
What about a game where you macromanage troop movement, resource collection, and building. Then you would have battles anywhere troop posistions collide. This probably wouldnt work for realistic rts's(too many troops) but you could work with fantasy or sci-themes. A bigger factor that would come into roles in these games is defensive structures and terrain compared to the average rts

[edited by - ohohvi on July 27, 2002 11:48:07 PM]
And while your at it make it really original by sticking in an alien bug race, alien psychic race, and a human race.
And call it "Starcraft, macromanagement edition".

What exactly is Macromanagement?
Wrong forum - this is Game Design material so I''m pushing it over there.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
Do you want an actual storyline? Sort of like what Starcraft did? Or are you more concerned about the backdrop and setting of your game world?

Personally, though I''ve never designed nor programmed a game, I''m going to do the following to flesh out my game:

1. Build the game world/atmosphere/history/setting
2. Develop storyline integrated into the game world
3. Sketch out rough elements of gameplay features I would like
4. Understand what the intended audience would appreciate in my game and gameworld
5. Integrate features intended audience may like

Only then would I actually start any sort of preliminary programming. Once you have some rough ideas of programming necessities, then I think you can start the design doc.

That''s just me, and I''m not a professional, so don''t take my word as gospel or anything. In fact, I''m learning myself. But the reason I would do the above is that I think game companies tend to think about gameplay, and gameplay features (technology) first, and then design the storyline around the gameplay and game engine. In other words they think, "okay, let''s make a first person shooter, with really awesome lighting techniques, and it''ll be this sort of sci-fi/horror game". In my opinion, that''s totally bass ackwards, but others would strongly disagree with me I''m sure. I think it also explains why games are often beautiful eye candy or may have some neat "gimmicks" (like Red Factions deformable terrain), but with little true depth and immersion...simply because story and backdrop were afterthoughts, rather than the foundation.

But storyline and backdrop are just that....a foundation. Who cares if you have a great foundation with no building? That''s where the gameplay features, and the technology to support it come in.

As for personal taste, I believe you should create the things that get you stoked and capture your personal interest and imagination. I think that games, like movies, need a strong guiding director to guide the vision of the game. If a game is too democratic...it''s like having too many cooks in the kitchen. There needs to be someone with a guiding vision and direction to make it unique and with a distinct feel to it. I think this is another area where games sometimes fail, because game storylines and backdrops are done by committee or consensus rather than with an overall director at the helm.

So it may be nice to like to brainstorm, but I think someone needs to have a firm hand in the direction and vision of the game. So my suggestion would be to just think about what really interests you and get a feel for how others like it. Just my two cents
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
How about including a bit of an rpg element to your game by further expanding on the ideas from w3, Instead of just special characters gaining xp all of your army can gain experience an get upgrades and different eapons along the way. When you move between games you can save your army and load it up in the new game, thus encouraging players to look after theyre troops.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement