• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monder

GTK Radiant .Map Format

This topic is 5898 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok I''ve started to create a simple 3d engine. Instead of writing a map editor myself I thought I would use GTK Radiant. I have looked through the structure of the .map file format it uses worked out what does what and wrote a parsing routine to load the data in. Now each brush has a list of vertices. There are 3 vertices per line then a load of texture stuff. For a cuboid shaped brush there are six of these lines so you have altogether 6X3 vertices to describe a cube ie 12. I made a basic ogl app that runs through each line and treats each group of three as a tri which obviously didn''t work. So I have 12 vertices to create a cuboid from. I have no idea how. Can anyone help me out?

Advertisement
Well I''ve found a post on some message board that says the brushes are described in the file by using a plane for each side. So in a file every brush is described by planes (I removed the texture stuff cause it isn''t relevent)

( 136 128 0 ) ( 0 128 0 ) ( 0 16 0 )
( 0 16 128 ) ( 0 128 128 ) ( 136 128 128 )
( 0 0 8 ) ( 136 0 8 ) ( 136 0 0 )
( 128 16 8 ) ( 128 128 8 ) ( 128 128 0 )
( 136 128 8 ) ( 0 128 8 ) ( 0 128 0 )
( 0 128 8 ) ( 0 16 8 ) ( 0 16 0 )

This is a cube shaped brush. It is 128 units tall,wide and long. So each line describes a plane that is 128 X 128 units. Can anybody work out how you would get the plane information from the stuff above?

This has been discussed many, many, many times. Here:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=82915

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!