Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elendil67

30's Mobster idea

Our game programming team is thinking of creating a game after our current one about the 30''s in NYC. We were thinking it would be something like GTA3, except for the fact that it would be in the 30''s, and there would be RPG elements in it, such as character building and abilities. It would be a very open-ended game, allowing you to roam about the city. The main objective of the game would be to make money, eliminate rival mobs, smuggle illegal things in, and get away from the police and the FBI. You could buy guns and things of the like, and select special abilities for your character. I know it sounds ambitious and a lot like GTA3, but what do you think? We were also thinking about integrating famous gangsters in there somehow, like John Dillinger. This concept is in the very early stages of development, so nothing is really official. .elendil67

Sure, it''s a great idea, but do you think your team is capable of creating a game on the same level as a GTA3?

If done well, the idea would be fun (if unoriginal).

quote:
Original post by elendil67
And we have an expert programmer on our side . I''m sure that it will be quite a challenge, but you could also make it isometric if needed. But that would take a lot away from the gameplay.

.elendil67

Looking at C_C_Programmer''s prior posts, I would harly consider himself an expert programmer. He''s 15 years old, and is programming in VB 6. His only recent posts seem to be in the newbies thread.

You guys should aim lower, at something easier so you can finish it.

Great Idea, however there are some similar looking games due for retail release. "Gangsters" (think this was the name) is a game based on a similar look/feel to what you are talking about, I saw a video clip recetnly and it looks good (if not great). I only think it would be worth doing if you could get the feel/look for the city right (like they have in GTA3, but you would need to get it right for the time period Obviuosly!), also I think it is a good idea to include real characters like John Dillinger in the game, you could play as them or they could be your mentor (you would work for them).

If you were to make this game I have a suggestion for a level. It would include a train and you have to race along side the train in a car and jump onto a carriage(or perhaps you board the train as a passenger), after you are on the train you take it over and rob it of its delivery. I say this, because I love train levels (e.g. Soldier of Fortune, second level) and I would love to play a game with a classic steam train in it.

Love the hobo

I loved GTA3, and making a game set in 20's/30's gangland would be great. However, you might want to check this game out (it is almost exactly what you guys are talking about, and should be out in September):

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven

[edited by - doctorsixstring on July 29, 2002 10:38:38 AM]

GTA is a good game ofcourse. But is it what you want to make a game by just changing the time, or graphichs or sound. I mean will there be gameplay elements that are new to game world. I just remember these words from Game Architecture&Design " You cant make a hit by immitating another hit".

-------------------------
Hakan Yuksel
3TE Games

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven

Thats the one I was thinking of...It looks really cool.

*shakes head* Gangsters...what was I thinking, thats the top down game released some years ago!

Hobo