Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

evil sausage

a very bad essay

Guest Anonymous Poster
Now don''t kill me for this but I thought the essay was somewhat true......

Video games today lack that fun-factor and substance that made gaming what it is. The author wrote that it was harder and more dificult to go through a maze in 3D so game designers have made mazes easier...but I think it should be the opposite, puzzels should be just the same or harder in todays games. Puzzles are one of the things that made games longer(that and a lot more levels).

And don''t kill me for what i said...I agree to some of the stuff Mr. Abott said but I also disagree with other stuff.

Didn''t read the entire article, it seems like it''s just some "incredibly stupid" kid who just wants to ramble over something.

But as far as I read, I found at least one place where he was argumenting against himself. He''s saying (most) modern games are so repetative:
quote:
Original post by Video Games Are Incredibly Stupid!
...and he goes around a course. Then he goes around the course again. And again. There are other characters going around the course and the hero is racing them. Wow, that’s really exciting—if you’re five years old.

then he claims that Q-Bert, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Tetris were great games (agreed, they were good, they are still). But those games are repetative if any.

Also.
quote:
Original post by Video Games Are Incredibly Stupid!
We don’t play games as a substitute for reality. Actually, no one knows why we do play games.

1. Some may play games as substitute for reality, rpgs are an exellent example of that.

2. No, we might not know the specific reason of why we play games, but is "entertainment" a good guess?

Sofar I read the essay, it''s poorely written, have no real backed up arguments and doesn''t seem to have a point either.

I don''t know why I even bothered to comment on it =p

-Luctus

lol yeah he is incredibly stupid. i agree that there is a lotta crap games, but there was a lotta crap games when 2d was king to0. i still play old games like mario world and super metroid, but i much prefer newer games like half life. lol the way he says about doin a course over and over again, and then says packman is good. LMAO. I mean every packman level is totally different :¬)

DangerD

edit: btw i like ure name 'evil sausage' :¬)

[edited by - DangerD on July 28, 2002 2:26:57 PM]

He might not use the most impartial language, but some of what he says does have merit, a lot of merit. Read the responses to his essay and you''ll find some more good points.

When I think of all the companies that pump out ''the next big thing'' (State of Emerg., Outlaw Golf, Acclaim''s XXX game, Matt Hoffman''s Pro BMX, Shuan Palmer''s Pro Snowboarder, Kelly Slater''s Pro Surfer, [Name of Game] Online, [Name of Game] [X/Y/Z/Blue/Yellow/Purple] Version, etc etc), I understand where he''s coming from.

All these games that exist because some moron thought, ''hey lets make a game like that game, they sold a bajillion copies, if we change this to that and that to this we can sell a bajillion copies too and license toys and cartoons and movies from it!

------------
- outRider -

I find it funny that he was surprised when his essay wasn''t printed in any magazines -- and you''d think the guy could take a hint from that! Maybe if he actually had at least one valid point in the entire article, people would listen, but it''s just a rambling on about nothing.

--------------------
Matthew Calabrese
Realtime 3D Orchestra:
Programmer, Composer,
and 3D Artist/Animator
"I can see the music..."

The thing about repetiveness is, that''s what real life is. You go out to play tennis, then next day you do it just the same. Or skateboarding you do the same tricks over and over again. If it''s a 3d shooter, you expect to repeat the same basic action (shooting bad guys) a lot.

Read about my game, project #1

John 3:16

Well, we can`t just *lol* can`t we!
I think there is no good point in his article.
In former times games were not better but the part of the games that was good games was bigger.
Nowadays we do still have good games but even more bad ones. But that doesn`t mean there are less good ones .

Im Anfang war die Tat...
Faust

i think that guy is *incredibly stupid*

Calling game designers stupid? He said that ''game designers'' aren''t even designers. We hell sure are!? theres a lot more to games than shooting somebody over and over again damnit! i hope HE BURNS IN MACINTOSH HELL FOR ALL OF ETERNITY!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, that man is definitely not an incredible author. I mean his overall language is all right, but his so-called essay is structured in the most simple way and the points he tries to make are not really convincing. I''m also sceptical about the "many fascinating responses to this article"... something gives me the impression that Robert printed all reviews he received except the negative ones.

When I read the first few lines of the article I just thought it was really stupid, like most of you posted already. But then I forced myself to read it as a whole and I''m now sure that the essay includes some valid arguments, but they are sort of hidden behind phrases like "that''s incredibly stupid"... Well, I already mentioned that Robert is not really talented in writing an essay.

quote:
Cause 1: Today’s players are incredibly stupid

That''s a dumb argument. It''s just that many more people play video games than it was the case in the 70s and 80s. The logical consequence is that more stupid people play video games, too. And so do the more intelligent ones. There might be a general tendency towards stupidity in our society as a whole but that''s definitely not restricted to gamers.

quote:
They never consider that girls are just not dumb enough for their games.

Nice thesis, but does he give evidence?

quote:
Cause 2: Video game critics are incredibly stupid

This is another good example for a bad point. I think that a certain animadversion on some game magazines or shows is justifiable but it''s clear that you can''t lump together all of them.

quote:
This game is an illustrated chess-playing program called "Battle Chess."

I wouldn''t like this game, either. It''s just chess with some pretty pointless animations. But nobody claims that all video games released nowadays are good, do we?

quote:
Cause 3: Video game designers are incredibly stupid

Most of the game designers of "Donkey Kong" et al still live today and are still designing games. Sure, there''s a lot of crap in the market, but again you have to differentiate. Maybe some of you have read the thread in the Game Design forum regarding the miserable gameplay of a large part of today''s computer games. I think Robert is trying to make exactly that point - but he isn''t able to put it into proper words.

quote:
Cause 4: Computer technology has greatly improved since 1990

Now while this thesis is really crap, there''s still some truth in it. It is a fact that many companies which focus too much on graphics and high tech don''t come up with more than a decent gameplay and storyline.

Concluding, one point is entirely missing in Robert''s essay. The nature of today''s video games is entirely different than the one of older games like "Donkey Kong", "Pac Man" and similar ones. Games are growing more complex, they include real worlds, background stories, characters, and much more. I think Robert is a fanatic puzzle gamer who simply doesn''t like other genres. Well, maybe someone should tell him that there are still some great puzzle games being released even today.

He comes up with card games, so obviously HIS games are better than any other kind of game in the world. All other games are "incredibly stupid."

I imagine him saying it like "shhtewww-pid!!!" LOL

shhtewpid shtewpid shtewpid!!! you're just steee-ewwpid!!!! hehe. Look at his picture on this bottom of this while imagining that.

This little quote just sort of stuck out to me..

quote:
We don’t play games as a substitute for reality. Actually, no one knows why we do play games, but reality has nothing to do with it.

In other words, "I don't have the slightest idea in the world why people play games. Therefore, it must not be to imitate reality."

http://roninmagus.hopto.org

[edited by - Ronin Magus on July 28, 2002 6:14:27 PM]

LMAO! Anyway I read the essay and I disagree with almost everything that was said in it. There may be a lot of crap games out there but this has always been the case even when the games were in 2D.

quote:

There are many magazines devoted to video games, but the magazines are as dumb as the games they write about. About all that is in these magazines is tips on how to win the games.

What? I have read many games magazines in my life and although most of them do print cheats, more often than not the cheats section is small no more than a few pages, and in one case the magazine doesn't have any cheats in it.

quote:

The game programmers actually embed code for these “cheats” so the game magazines will write about their games.

And did it ever occur to Robert Abbot that some of these 'cheats' might have been there to help test the games? Although I do see his point, in some games the cheats do seem to have been put there for little or no reason other than the one he stated

Why the hell was he saying "Battle Chess" was crap? It was chess and the violence made it a little less boring. I definetly dont think the animations in it made the game any worse. If that game hadn't been invented I would of never learned to play chess.

quote:

Not only are they incredibly stupid, they aren’t even game designers.

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

Anyway theres lots more i could say about this essay but i cant be bothered and this posts getting quite big.

[edited by - Grambo on July 28, 2002 6:40:54 PM]

What exactly do you think he means by Game Programmers/Designers are stupid?

Stupid in general? or stupid for doing what we enjoy?

I find it difficult for game programmers/designers to be stupid in general, because we program for god sakes! We do math, heavy math. Stupid for doing what we enjoy? I''d like to know more about this Robert Fella, what floats his boat?

He goes on to say how repetitive games are... like life isn''t? (I know this point was already made ) I mean, this guy sounds like the kind of guy to bitch about walking because it is "...to repetitive...".

What also pisses me off, is he doesn''t even reply to the people who disagree with him on his replys page. He just agrees with the people that agree with his shit essay. He''s the kind of guy that goes "I''m right, you''re wrong. That''s all there is to it, those who agree come with me are cool, those who don''t, whatever," and then blocks everyone else out because his mind is set.

Bleh.

-AfroFire

quote:
Original post by Ronin Magus
He comes up with card games, so obviously HIS games are better than any other kind of game in the world. All other games are "incredibly stupid."

I imagine him saying it like "shhtewww-pid!!!" LOL

shhtewpid shtewpid shtewpid!!! you''re just steee-ewwpid!!!! hehe. Look at his picture on this bottom of this while imagining that.

This little quote just sort of stuck out to me..

[quote]We don’t play games as a substitute for reality. Actually, no one knows why we do play games, but reality has nothing to do with it.

In other words, "I don''t have the slightest idea in the world why people play games. Therefore, it must not be to imitate reality."

http://roninmagus.hopto.org

[edited by - Ronin Magus on July 28, 2002 6:14:27 PM]

Thats as funny as hell! when i read it i thought it was written by a 7th grader or something! lol

SHHHTTTEEEWWWWWPPPIIIDDD

/\/\att

Yeah, tetris is a great game, you see, theres a block, and it falls, then theres another block!!! and it falls, and more and more fall, but if they stack up to the top then you lose!! that game is so creative and not repetetive i cant believe it!

i think (like everyone else) that little robert, is incredibly stupid. the only thing he had right was the stuff about game critics, but thats a critics job, to promote! we all already know that.

If you read his closing remarks on one of the response pages you notice he says:
quote:

I wanted to respond to a couple of the points raised here. (I’ll ignore most of the other points, especially those where I might actually be wrong.)

Looks like you had it right AfroFire