a very bad essay

Started by
37 comments, last by evil sausage 21 years, 8 months ago
It is good essay. Much for everyone to think about when making own games :D
Advertisement
quote:Original post by stefu
It is good essay. Much for everyone to think about when making own games :D
The essay begins with "today''s games are repetitive quake clones", then looks for the cause of this supposed problem. So - what do you see in there for us to think about?
Sounds to me like one of those teen-age boys that he talks so poorly about in his article that just never could grasp the mechanics of a computer and decided to attack it for all it was worth... which turned out sounding like a moron.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
its weird cos he says this

In another type of game you are again behind the hero, who is on a skateboard or in a cart, and he goes around a course. Then he goes around the course again. And again. There are other characters going around the course and the hero is racing them. Wow, that’s really exciting—if you’re five years old

then talks about greats like tetris and pac-man, which after 30 seconds, u have seen everything they have to offer.

also, skateboardin games r fun, and im not 5 years old.
In the CONS page of comments:
February 28, 2002
Hi Mr Abbott,

There’s currently a discussion going on on Planetcrap about your article. If you browse to www.planetcrap.com, click the “Hey, Stupid!” topic to view comments.

I figured you might like to defend yourself.

Regards,
Karel.

This letter does not belong in the CON category, but the discussion does. It’s mostly by teen-age boys who are enraged that I would attack something they consider their own. One of them said I was a “bitter old fuck.” Actually, that’s pretty much true. I don’t know how long these threads remain on bulletin boards, so if you go to Planetcrap, you may not be able to find it.

I thought it was pretty funny.
Anyway, his comments just seemed to be the same kind of flame war thread that you see on this site every month or so. Ill-informed and high and mighty. A winning combination.

And what kind of an argument is he making about the viewpoint of the game? So first realism is not going to make a game better, but the viewpoint is? Top-down doesn''t necessarily make anything better. Neither do fancy graphics, but why does he assume that lesser graphics would necessarily be better? Sweeping generalizations are always wrong. B-)

-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
obviously, the author hasnt played anything like Black and White or Medal of Honour, but the sat thing is he is right, mostly.

there are thousands of god-awful commercial games out there which are mindless rip-offs of classics or lazy rehashes of an old idea. creativity is low in the majority of the industry.

i cant understand how these below par games come out at all, i understand they actually LOSE money for the publisher.
I think they are made just to keep the shelves full of cheap games. if shops only stocked the good games people would take one look and think the industry was slowing down.

many gamers are teenage boys who LIKE blood and explosions, there aer arcades filled with twitchy-fingered zombies who waste money. i believe violence in games COULD push a near-psycho over the edge (dont look at me like that, im a teenage boy who cant wait to get his hands on Duke Nukem Forever).

We will always be able to prove these people wrong about games like Ocarina of Time, but they can just as easily hold up the football hooligans game as the banner for their crusade.
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
quote:Original post by walkingcarcass
obviously, the author hasnt played anything like Black and White or Medal of Honour, but the sat thing is he is right, mostly.

there are thousands of god-awful commercial games out there which are mindless rip-offs of classics or lazy rehashes of an old idea. creativity is low in the majority of the industry.
90% of everything is crud. The same was true back when video gaming became a reality; the author has merrily ignored all of the bad games from back then, and compared the best games of that time to the worst games today.
The fact that Mr. Abott has the essay writing skills of a 6th grader does not make him wrong. A lot of what he said is true, even if it was said poorly.

I think that games today are too repetitive. Its not the fact that you do the same thing over and over in any one game, but that you do that same thing in every game. Half life, quake, Unreal, and all the other first person shooters are all basically the same, and are just Doom with more polygons. Pac Man, Donkey Kong, and Tetris are all very different.

Of coarse there are still innovative new games being produced today, and there were tons Tetris and pac man clones. The difference is that before, clones never saw the same success as the originals. Today, the opposite is true.
omg, this boy sux (yes boy becauce i don''t permit him to talk of such a big, great, creative community that we are if he doesn''t even know why we love playing today''s games)

-------------------------------------
"Oasis is not dead !" - WiseMan
-------------------------------------"Oasis is not dead !" - WiseMan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement