a very bad essay

Started by
37 comments, last by evil sausage 21 years, 8 months ago
The address below below leads to a poorly done essay on video games.It was written by Robert Abott.Post your opinions!!(I think the essay is bad). http://logicmazes.com/video.html
And so, the evil religion thread stole the wonderful "What the Heck?" thread's throne. Truly a sad day for gamedev.
Advertisement
yep that''s pretty *sad*.
Maybe if he changed "Incredibly Stupid" with another, less abrasive adjective the essay would have gotten much more weight.
Now don''t kill me for this but I thought the essay was somewhat true......

Video games today lack that fun-factor and substance that made gaming what it is. The author wrote that it was harder and more dificult to go through a maze in 3D so game designers have made mazes easier...but I think it should be the opposite, puzzels should be just the same or harder in todays games. Puzzles are one of the things that made games longer(that and a lot more levels).

And don''t kill me for what i said...I agree to some of the stuff Mr. Abott said but I also disagree with other stuff.
Didn''t read the entire article, it seems like it''s just some "incredibly stupid" kid who just wants to ramble over something.

But as far as I read, I found at least one place where he was argumenting against himself. He''s saying (most) modern games are so repetative:
quote:Original post by Video Games Are Incredibly Stupid!
...and he goes around a course. Then he goes around the course again. And again. There are other characters going around the course and the hero is racing them. Wow, that’s really exciting—if you’re five years old.

then he claims that Q-Bert, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Tetris were great games (agreed, they were good, they are still). But those games are repetative if any.

Also.
quote:Original post by Video Games Are Incredibly Stupid!
We don’t play games as a substitute for reality. Actually, no one knows why we do play games.

1. Some may play games as substitute for reality, rpgs are an exellent example of that.

2. No, we might not know the specific reason of why we play games, but is "entertainment" a good guess?

Sofar I read the essay, it''s poorely written, have no real backed up arguments and doesn''t seem to have a point either.

I don''t know why I even bothered to comment on it =p

-Luctus
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
Robert Abbott is Incredibly Stupid.
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
lol yeah he is incredibly stupid. i agree that there is a lotta crap games, but there was a lotta crap games when 2d was king to0. i still play old games like mario world and super metroid, but i much prefer newer games like half life. lol the way he says about doin a course over and over again, and then says packman is good. LMAO. I mean every packman level is totally different :¬)

DangerD

edit: btw i like ure name 'evil sausage' :¬)

[edited by - DangerD on July 28, 2002 2:26:57 PM]
He might not use the most impartial language, but some of what he says does have merit, a lot of merit. Read the responses to his essay and you''ll find some more good points.

When I think of all the companies that pump out ''the next big thing'' (State of Emerg., Outlaw Golf, Acclaim''s XXX game, Matt Hoffman''s Pro BMX, Shuan Palmer''s Pro Snowboarder, Kelly Slater''s Pro Surfer, [Name of Game] Online, [Name of Game] [X/Y/Z/Blue/Yellow/Purple] Version, etc etc), I understand where he''s coming from.

All these games that exist because some moron thought, ''hey lets make a game like that game, they sold a bajillion copies, if we change this to that and that to this we can sell a bajillion copies too and license toys and cartoons and movies from it!

------------
- outRider -
I find it funny that he was surprised when his essay wasn''t printed in any magazines -- and you''d think the guy could take a hint from that! Maybe if he actually had at least one valid point in the entire article, people would listen, but it''s just a rambling on about nothing.

--------------------
Matthew Calabrese
Realtime 3D Orchestra:
Programmer, Composer,
and 3D Artist/Animator
"I can see the music..."
I didn''t even bother reading the rest of it after seeing the first couple of titles..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement