Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fluid FX

www.gametutorials.com

a lot of ppl talk about this site beeing a hell of a good site, i think it is, looking at all the code work and stuff... but my only problem is, why do they call themself a tutorial site? you can only download the source (+ some additional links to more info about some topics(like bsp)) so my question is, am i looking wrong? or are there somewhere real "tutorials" cause that would help a lot ..! GreetZ

yea duh i know gamedev.net already aight?

just look at their "tutorials" what stuff they cover and then look at what gamedev.net offers....

mostly basic stuff, while i would love to see a md3 file load tutorial... or how to use octrees and so on...

Greetz

So you don''t like them because they have "basic stuff"?
If no one had "basic stuff", how would anyone get anywhere?

You download the source, and the tutorial is right there in the code. The same thing as NeHe''s site, only his is on a seperate page.

md3 on this page
more advanced md3 and octrees on this page

Did you miss the "page" links on the bottom or something??

Also, gamedev gets tutorials from tons of places, while gametutorials writes their own. Comparing the two doesn''t make much sense.

------------
aud.vze.com - The Audacious Engine <-- It''s not much, yet. But it''s mine... my own... my preciousssss...
MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155

Guest Anonymous Poster
You gotta take it from where you get it. I use both sites extensively. It would most definetely help you to look at source code you download just incase the tutorial site you got it from did something completely outrageous like document it.

damn first of all i did not want to upset you
second of all of course i am totally happy that i finally found "basic" to "advanced" stuff at gamedev.net and nehe....

and i know that those "tutorials" about md3 and stuff are there, but my point was that i did not think it could be mentioned "tutorial" cause for me a tutorial is more a guide with a lot of explaining to let you "make" a code based on that guide...

just my oppinion..

GreetS

Well, I happend to agree with Fluid FX, actually.

I think the central part of a tutorial should be the description of the method/technique in question. Code should only be used to clarify and exemplify the concepts where necessary. Or maybe as a reference implementation you could download and examine if you have trouble implementing your own.

Now, I asmit that I haven''t used www.gametutorials.com that much. But at times I have felt the tutorials to be more like very well documented code than "real" tutorials, although that may just be my definition of a tutorial that is skewed. Nevertheless, especially in the OpenGL camera tutorials, you have to jump around in the files and scroll up and down to be sure to read all the comments in the "headers" and "footers" of the source. Also, I think those camera tutorials are far too complex. I ended up dropping them and writing my own camera class more or less from scratch, and much simpler (although that is largely beside the point).

Still, I''m not complaining or bashing DigiBen or anything. He''s done a lot of good work and, despite its shortcommings, GameTutorials is still a really great resource, mainly because its wide range and huge number of tutorials/examples for download. There''s almost always something to get you started.

thank you for that explanation...

look i did not mean that it is some bad site or whatever
all i wanted to know was if there was any "real" tutorial in the way i THOUGHT tutorials where

now i guess i have to live with the fact that a tutorial is not always like you think they are...

great site, good resource, just hoped there were a bit more explaning and easy-to-follow tutorials

Cheers!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Drop 50 bucks or so and buy the "Game Programming in OpenGL" book that gamedev sells. It covers as much about basic game creation as a book possibly could. It goes from the basic stuff like the OpenGL state machine and primitives and goes on up through Engine design and implementation. Nothing on the web will be as easy an organized as that book will, and it''s all laid out in an organized fashion for progressive learning.

Easier than scrounging the web for random articles.

yea i know the book just that i am a little boy from 17 that has to wait for his salary check :D

though i have also got 2 books about d3d which i will also learn (busy boy huh? )

anyway i saw the book yes...

thanks for the advice

cheers!