Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

billybob

drawing in camera space without transforming?

how would i go about making a hud, or draw numbers on the screen without getting them transformed? for right now, i want to draw the fps in the top left corner. i can make a texure thats really long and high enough to hold one number, is it possible to just blit source rectangles from this texture onto the screen without going through the transformations? i.e. give it 2d resolution coords instead of 3D transformation coords?

Pre-transformed objectes is what you want. In order to do it in the fixed function pipeline, you need to add an rhw member to your vertex structure and set it to 1 usually. Pretransformed objects don''t get affected by the transformation matrices. Another option is a vertex shader that just passes the vertex along the pipeline. Finally, you could set all three matrices to the identity matrix before rendering the hud. The vertices for pre-transformed objects are in screen coords, although you should subtract 0.5 from the coords to get 100% accuracy.

---
My Site
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org

quote:
Original post by RapidStunna
Pre-transformed objectes is what you want. In order to do it in the fixed function pipeline, you need to add an rhw member to your vertex structure and set it to 1 usually. Pretransformed objects don''t get affected by the transformation matrices. Another option is a vertex shader that just passes the vertex along the pipeline. Finally, you could set all three matrices to the identity matrix before rendering the hud. The vertices for pre-transformed objects are in screen coords, although you should subtract 0.5 from the coords to get 100% accuracy.

---
My Site
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org

is there an example how to do this somewhere?

Use the D3DFVF_XYZRHW flag in your FVF. Then in your vertex declaration use

FLOAT x,y,z,w;

If you set the w value to 1.0f, then you have the range -1 to 1 for x and y, and 0 to 1 for z. -1 for x is the left of the screen, -1 for y is the bottom. 0 is near-clip for the z, and 1 is far clip.

Rory.

Not sure about using a w coordinate, but using D3DFVF_XYZ with an orthogonal projection matrix you should be able to map to screen coords.

[edited by - Grambo on July 29, 2002 5:04:27 AM]

Basically, all the coordinates get divided by the w coordinate before they are rendered. This means that the point (1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0) is the exact same point as (2.0, 2.0, 2.0, 2.0). So you can''t get an exact mapping from your screen width to your vertex coordinates unless you are using a square display!

Rory.