Future of Game Engines

Started by
66 comments, last by Nickp3d 21 years, 8 months ago
Excited as we are aobut the DOOM3 engine, where is the future of game engines lie? What is their left to do?is there anything left? New EAX will shape the sound world and ever faster PCs will be able to handle faster and more detailed graphics. What is left after this? Can their be another legendary ground breaking game like DOOM and Wolfstien 3d in the world of first person shooters?
You miss 100% of the shots you do not take. - Wayne Gretzky
Advertisement
well, put together all you said and you get real time games w/ realism level of final fantasy the movie or something. just imagine all those bump mapping and shader effects combines, real time shadows, etc. etc.

---
shurcool
wwdev
Ok we got the graphics down, now for the physics , then we got the AI, then we got to make it all in one big engine so that the game developers can save money and upgrade the engine. Don''t forget the VR stuff, it is a potential future (add force feedback, and you get the next in immersion). And then there''s the interface for the VR, and so forth... Until it''s getting so that we can''t tell difference between real and virtual

Imagine, Doom3 with VR ooo...

You know your game is in trouble when your AI says, in a calm, soothing voice, "I''m afraid I can''t let you do that, Dave"
I think the Doom III engine is going to ROCK!

But..

What about Gameplay?
It seems ID is only trying to make a great Engine, and toss a little game logic in to make it playable..
don''t worry - there will be news in the future too - we are not even half way there
- and we never will be.
(he said with a mysteroius tone)
//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'm looking for work
quote:Original post by Snash
It seems ID is only trying to make a great Engine, and toss a little game logic in to make it playable..

Well, that''s what they always done in my opinion. I never really like any of the Quake games but they had good engines, engines that later was sold to other companie which made excelent games with them (Half Life for example).

What i can''t wait for is Raytraced shadows and materials.
X4J
What I wonder is just how revolutionary is the Doom 3 engine. Is it more revolutionary as the jump from turn-based strategy to real-time strategy, or as revolutionary as the jump from hidden line removal to full 3-D polygons?
I mean, the best I can get is that it is the same we have been seeing, only now with dynamic lighting taken to an amazing extreme...Not that I think it is gonna be crap or something. I think it will be awesome! I just don''t see why it is so "revolutionary."
As for what''s next, that is what they said when Super Mario 64 came out. Now that they''ve done 3-D, what is there to do?
We have come a long way with basically the same dimensions. We can go further. And the future will be fun still. B-)
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
quote:Original post by Snash
What about Gameplay?

Watch the videos and read the interviews again. The are really striving to make this game the single player experiance of a lifetime.

The UI alone is supposed to be ten times better than anything before it, but they''ve been keeping it''s specs on the "low down". I''ve heard that it''s a flash like interface that they can texture across any surface, even in the game.

Honestly, I''m buying a $400 video card (at $309) so I can play it. That''s how sold I am on the game. (And I hate the first 3 quakes, since Quake IV is using this engine, maybe it will have better gameplay)
All that remains, my friends, is a journey into the fourth dimension....

**camera zooms in on face**

TIME!!! MWUHUHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!

http://roninmagus.hopto.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement