Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doolwind

What to use for a multiplayer RTS

G''day, I am currently putting together a simple Real-Time strategy game. Over the next few months I would like to add multiplayer abilities to my game (both LAN and internet). I am just wondering what would be best for this type of game. I would probably just make it peer-to-peer for simplicity. I know of Winsock, DirectPlay, and that is about it. Thanks for your help. Doolwind

Guest Anonymous Poster
Peer-to-peer isn''t really more simple. I personally consider client-server more simple because keeping all players synced is much easier when you have a single authority ove the game state (Server).

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Peer-to-peer isn''t really more simple. I personally consider client-server more simple because keeping all players synced is much easier when you have a single authority ove the game state (Server).

I was thinking that myself but I''m not sure about it.

Thanks guys,

I had a look at some sites and yeah it would be a lot better to do a client-server relationship, especially for scalability.

Is winsock the best option for the actual library to use? Or Directplay?

Doolwind

Guest Anonymous Poster
I haven''t actually *used* DPlay, only sockets, but from what i''ve read/been told, DPlay is good as a higher level library, where most things are simpler than doing them in winsock, winsock gives you a bit more control about how you handle your networking, and is also more portable if you decide to make a linux server or client. I think if you have already used some DirectX (COM) api''s then DPlay may be a little easier to use...but then again i haven''t actually used it